7th Annual BYC New Year's Day 2016 Hatch-A-Long

Help! So I set few eggs early. I had a chick hatch a few hours ago and now all the others have just stopped. They had little cracks and now nothing going on. What do I do?

@amyg6

The first on often hatches a day early. Leave the one in there until there are at least two--up to 24 hours. I do not like to keep them in longer than that.

Leave the incubator closed so that humidity stays up. You should have more hatching soon.

Keep us updated!

I got my first turkey egg ever! Woo! I'm so excited! Time to start saving them up now
smile.png

Collecting more eggs tomorrow for a new set. Well set on Christmas day or Saturday. Checked a dozen eggs for fertility tonight. Only two girls aren't, so won't set theirs.

January 15th- ish hatch

Congratulations on the hatches! Sorry, pipping!
I Will be cracking open a duck eggs from the refrigerator tomorrow. I just want to make sure I'm not incubating duck eggs that are infertile again!
I seriously need to go to bed now, but I don't think those chicks are going to hatch. They just don't look big enough. But then again, I really can't see into them even with my iPhone flashlight. I will try to figure it all out sometime tomorrow.
Good night everyone!

That was 52 to lockdown right? Your going to have a brooder full.
yes, but I am hatching on shares so 26 are mine which is still too many. I set so many because of all I read about infertile eggs and losses but so far we just had the two infertile. The first chick is here she said.

I saw my hen breeding a week ago but no eggs yet....I have sweetgrass turkeys. I love them My tom hates me.

Sweetgrass are stunning! My girls all seem to be laying at once. I now have 4 turkey hens laying and I'm up to a dozen eggs sitting on my counter as of this evening. They're all getting set on Sunday. I got my hatcher all set up today so I can move my HAL eggs to it a few days early and make room for the turkey eggs to go in lol.

Last edited:
Congratulations on the hatches! Sorry, pipping!
I Will be cracking open a duck eggs from the refrigerator tomorrow. I just want to make sure I'm not incubating duck eggs that are infertile again!
I seriously need to go to bed now, but I don't think those chicks are going to hatch. They just don't look big enough. But then again, I really can't see into them even with my iPhone flashlight. I will try to figure it all out sometime tomorrow.
Good night everyone!

Good night motorcyclechick

yes, but I am hatching on shares so 26 are mine which is still too many. I set so many because of all I read about infertile eggs and losses but so far we just had the two infertile. The first chick is here she said.

Awesome fertility rate. I've been overrun with chicks this past year due to a hen that hatched 11 out in the wild. I had already hatched 23 in two different batches. In fact I promised myself that I would not hatch any more till next year but here I am doing it again. :barnie. Wait it will be next year right? :lau

I candled this morning and removed 5 eggs. Three were clears and two were blood rings.

I have 39 developing out of 45!

Great for store eggs.
great eggs!!!! just out of curiosity what was the date on the carton?
I've been trying to find out about this organic beef and egg farm in Stanislaus county. I bought some hens from them when they replaced their stock.. They were beautiful red hens and the roosters that were in the pastures (20 acre lots) were bright red also. They laid a nice tan egg. They had portable hen houses , guard dogs, Great Pyrenees , beautiful place. All electric fencing around the pastures to keep coyotes out
I know they sell eggs but I don't know what their name is. These egg I would try to hatch....
I believe it was just out of Ballico Where the road dead ends. Than you drive a mile or 2 down a dirt road. the place is beautiful..
When the guy took me out to the pasture to get the hens. The squirrels even told me off for being there.
I may have to take a drive out there to get there name. I feel a Sunday drive in the making and some hatching too. I am bad.
anyone know this place....

Back
Top Bottom