7th Annual BYC New Year's Day 2016 Hatch-A-Long

Wow! Congratulations to everyone with, new eggs..new chick, new pips...yes wait the 24 hrs. on those other pips. :) And I see that someone is collecting eggs..like me! I candled my eggs tonight to see if my rooster is doing his job..just 4 eggs..and they are all developing! Go Bubba! He's only getting one layer, the other girl won't let him near her. :p Wish she would, it's a leghorn, would love to get some Sex links! He's a RIR. He's been going after the RIR girl, but she isn't quite laying yet. Soon though!

I wish I would have known about this. I just fired up the incubator today to hatch some white leghorn eggs from my girls that just started laying the past couple weeks.

Wow!  Congratulations to everyone with, new eggs..new chick, new pips...yes wait the 24 hrs. on those other pips.  :)    And I see that someone is collecting eggs..like me!   I candled my eggs tonight to see if my rooster is doing his job..just 4 eggs..and they are all developing!   Go Bubba!  He's only getting one layer, the other girl won't let him near her.  :p    Wish she would, it's a leghorn, would love to get some Sex links!   He's a RIR.  He's been going after the RIR girl, but she isn't quite laying yet.  Soon though!

I didn't know you get sex links from white leghorn hen and RIR rooster. How do the chicks appear - male and female? How about egg laying from the pullets?

great eggs!!!! just out of curiosity what was the date on the carton?
I've been trying to find out about this organic beef and egg farm in Stanislaus county. I bought some hens from them when they replaced their stock.. They were beautiful red hens and the roosters that were in the pastures (20 acre lots) were bright red also. They laid a nice tan egg. They had portable hen houses , guard dogs, Great Pyrenees , beautiful place. All electric fencing around the pastures to keep coyotes out
I know they sell eggs but I don't know what their name is. These egg I would try to hatch....
I believe it was just out of Ballico Where the road dead ends. Than you drive a mile or 2 down a dirt road. the place is beautiful..
When the guy took me out to the pasture to get the hens. The squirrels even told me off for being there.
I may have to take a drive out there to get there name. I feel a Sunday drive in the making and some hatching too. I am bad.
anyone know this place....
The eggs from Trader Joes had a Julian date of 336 and 337. The eggs from Whole foods was 341.

Collection date for the Whole foods eggs was Monday the 7th and I set them on Friday the 11. They were very fresh eggs.

The Tj's eggs were 8 and 9 days old when I set them. No wonder they are doing so well!

I think I have heard about the place in Stanislaus County. The chickens sound like hatchery Rhode Island Reds or New Hampshire chickens. Both would be good egg layers.

Last edited:
I am sure there is something I do eat that you wouldn't. Hmmm.... I like bananas!
lol.png
lol.png

I am sure there is something I do eat that you wouldn't. Hmmm.... I like bananas! :lol: :lol:

I'm working on my first cup of coffee with my banana. Clam chowder is good once and awhile in a bread boat while at the coast. Seldom get there. I dislike no, dipise Lima beans. :barnie
Temps and humidity are good for the 5th check this morning. The shipped eggs seem to be more porous than my lone surviving Marans egg so trying to keep humidity up for them may spell trouble for it
Looks like our storm has arrived.

Just candled again - my "suspect" early quitters were indeed early quitters. Both eggs were fairly porous too. I didn't candle before setting -but I can see why that may be a good idea.

Several of my traded eggs are incredibly dark with candling. I think its a combination of thick shells and good development!

Now to troubleshoot our brooder problems! We have an outdoor insulated brooder that we have a light and turn-off valve set to the thermometer to prevent it from getting too warm (it gets very hot in the summer). However, it has not been holding heat well with the winter. My husband added a second bulb which seems to help it retain heat. The bulbs had been shutting off automatically, so he picked up a plug-in lamp to keep the brooder from getting too dark -

However, this morning I went to open up the brooder (we have 4 thanksgiving chicks inside) and it was 102 degrees! The lights didn't shut off :-( The chicks were okay - but breathing like they had heat stress. Hoping we can fix this before the new chicks arrive!

Back
Top Bottom