7th Annual BYC New Year's Day 2016 Hatch-A-Long

I'll join in! I've got a bunch of Silkie eggs
smile.png

Not to start a debate but this is what I was going by.. Is it different for ducks?? This is copied from SALLY SUNSHINES Incubation 101 page
VENTILATION (OXYGEN)
Ventilation is VERY important during the incubation process.
While the embryo is developing, oxygen enters the egg through the shell and carbon dioxide escapes. Oxygen requirements will increases during development and during hatching. Unobstructed ventilation holes, both above and below the eggs, are essential for proper air exchange. HOWEVER New Studies (Show Dr.Bramwell Discussion) have found that a slight decrease in oxygen the first 10 days (ONLY the first 10) creates a natural higher CO2 level which will naturally build in the incubator and add a little stress to young embryos which will force the embryo to survive and grow stronger, hatch earlier, hatch larger, grow stronger, grow faster and yeild more muscle mass at 6 weeks of age. PUT THE VENT PLUGS IN FOR THE FIRST 10 DAYS ONLY and then REMOVE ALL VENT PLUGS for the rest of the hatch! NOTE: When Lockdown occurs, vent openings are frequently restricted in an attempt to boost incubator humidity. Instead of helping the chick hatch, the chick is suffocated from lack of oxygen. Never decrease ventilation openings at hatching in an attempt to increase humidity. Increase humidity by other methods. If any vent adjustments are made, they should be opened more. Try adding a dampened sponge or towel to help boost humidity during lockdown.
I may have to try this some time when I am not doing staggered hatches. Oh wait, I'm always doing staggered hatches! I guess I have to get a new incubator so I can try this out!

Quote: Looks delicious!
droolin.gif
Do you mix the almonds into the toffee, or sprinkle them on top?

Last edited:
Hey- I think I will pass on the New year's hatch, I am going to hatch on 12/27 instead. Hatching would be about me, and it is hubby's New Years too!
so here's the eggs. 2 were from the fridge. If I get more with in a day or so that I don't have in the incubator I may add some.

Hey- I think I will pass on the New year's hatch, I am going to hatch on 12/27 instead. Hatching would be about me, and it is hubby's New Years too!
so here's the eggs. 2 were from the fridge. If I get more with in a day or so that I don't have in the incubator I may add some.
Keep hatching with us!

Early is fine.

Back
Top Bottom