8 Chickens Dead With Heads Off!

Momo7

In the Brooder
Oct 12, 2021
Feeling really sad and stupid right now. We live on a 2 acre fenced in property. Our 19 girls have been in a chicken tractor most of the day, to be let out in the evening for free ranging 1-2 hours. We lock up after dark. Kids went out this morning and found 8 dead chickens, each in different locations on the 2 acre property with feathers everywhere. Heads were completely taken off all, with only 1 of the 8 seemed to completely be devoured. This must have happened last night before we locked up. Any idea what might have done this? From my research, suspects are owl, racoon, weasel. We are in Western Missouri area.

Obviously, no more free ranging but want to make sure the rest of my hens are safe. Thanks!

Feeling really sad and stupid right now. We live on a 2 acre fenced in property. Our 19 girls have been in a chicken tractor most of the day, to be let out in the evening for free ranging 1-2 hours. We lock up after dark. Kids went out this morning and found 8 dead chickens, each in different locations on the 2 acre property with feathers everywhere. Heads were completely taken off all, with only 1 of the 8 seemed to completely be devoured. This must have happened last night before we locked up. Any idea what might have done this? From my research, suspects are owl, racoon, weasel. We are in Western Missouri area.

Obviously, no more free ranging but want to make sure the rest of my hens are safe. Thanks!
Most likely a raccoon

C2EgXE7UkAAsZEX.jpg

Thank you both. I'm grateful that I still have my 11 girls left. I'm going to look into getting a trap. We'll also be locking our hens up as soon as they are in at night and they won't be free ranging unless we are out there, so not very often.

:welcome :frow It could be most any predator. If you have a camera , put it up and then you will find out what has been lurking and it will be back and then once you know what you're dealing with you can form a plan to eliminate it. Good luck...

If you can catch it but don't want to eliminate it, most places have an animal rescue that will take it and relocate it to one of their release sites. Again good luck...

Back
Top Bottom