8 CX down with leg problems . . .

KatyTheChickenLady

Bird of A Different Feather
11 Years
Dec 20, 2008
Boise, Idaho
8 out of 88.
1 week to butcher date, going to have to do these this sat instead. Funny thing is it's the smaller ones.
Other than that I lost two to pile ups, and ten to my own big stupid mistake.

So 12% loss to mismangement and 8% early butchers, not bad numbers for 100 CX at a time. Next year we are putting in a permanent CX run with auto lights, auto feeders and waterers - that should take care of the mismangement numbers. I think I am getting this down!

Quote:
What is "pile ups"? Is it a doggie pile of chicks? I only have 5 meaties, this is our first time. We lost 2 and I'm not sure why. They were only 2 weeks old and had the one leg sticking out stance and what my kids like to refer to as "poo-butts". We thought we were going to loose another and put him in quarantine and after about 2 days he was fine. I need to figure out whats going on, a 28% loss this far is not good. Your 12% and almost to butcher date is really good!

pile ups USUALLY occur when they are to cold, but also when there is not enough light or sometimes just because they feel like it. But yes, it's a doggie pile of chicks with the bottom one becoming a pancake, you can tell when one has died from pile up 2weeks old is about the time it happens.

Back
Top Bottom