8 day old chick breathing heavy

Dovya

In the Brooder
Mar 30, 2020
Hi guys -

I have my chicks (24 of them!) in the bathroom, with a heat lamp. I've been adding 1tsp of BVS vitamin and mineral supplement to one gallon of water for drinking, and chick feed. They are all growing, seem fine. A few cases of pasty butt which we've cleaned and kept an eye on - nothing severe. But this one chick seems to be isolating and breathing heavy today... no other sign of distress. Any ideas what I should do?

What's the temperature? Generally that can be because it's too warm. Can they get away from the heat?

Agree what is the temp? They may not need it very warm since there is so many of them and they are inside climate control. By 8 days my chicks were congregating in the area that was reading about 80 degrees

Thank you very much for your insight! I appreciate it, and it makes sense. The weather has been very warm these past two days. I unplugged the light, closed the window...The temp dropped closer to 80 degrees, and we're keeping an eye on all of them.

If any of the other chicks develop the same symptoms, and/or if the breathing doesn't calm down as the temp drops, what do you recommend I do?

Back
Top Bottom