8 day old duckling with leg issues, now seems sick

WhiteTreeOfGondor

"Even the very wise cannot see all ends.” -Gandalf
Apr 26, 2021
Upstate South Carolina
I have a 8 day old duckling who is having a lot of trouble walking. When it hatched it had severe splay leg, which I straightened with a band-aid. It quickly learned how to walk with the band-aid and after a few days I tried taking it off, but it didn't look quite recovered so I put it back on. A day or two ago I took it off again because the duckling had grown so much that I worried the bandaid was too small for it and would damage its growing legs. But its legs are still turned outward and it lies down as often as it can. Could it be that is still hasn't recovered from the splay leg? Or is already having niacin issues? Or maybe slipped tendon? The legs turning outwards doesn't look quite the same as other niacin deficiencies I've dealt with. What can I do for it? Is there a good way to fix splay leg in older ducklings if this is still the issue?

What breed is the duckling? Additional niacin certainly won't hurt. It sounds like it has a birth defect, maybe it wasn't positioned properly in the egg. For myself, I would continue with the splints, adjusting as it grows. Their bodies are still solidifying at this age (cartilage turning to bone, muscles getting stronger, etc) so it could very well just need more time with it's legs in the 'right' position until these firm up more.

What breed is the duckling? Additional niacin certainly won't hurt. It sounds like it has a birth defect, maybe it wasn't positioned properly in the egg. For myself, I would continue with the splints, adjusting as it grows. Their bodies are still solidifying at this age (cartilage turning to bone, muscles getting stronger, etc) so it could very well just need more time with it's legs in the 'right' position until these firm up more.
It is a crossbreed, but it's a large duckling. Its mother is a big Buff/Saxony. Do you know what I could use for a splint now that it's outgrown the band-aids? Would something similar but with duct tape hurt its legs?
I have been putting B-complex into the water cup for extra niacin, and they are eating Kalmbach Flock Maker which has good niacin levels. I could try dosing it directly too.
Thank you!

You're welcome, glad you found some of that helpful! :)

I'm not sure how to visualize what you did with the bandaid, but what I used to do with lovebirds when I raised them was take a piece of soft yarn and tie each end at the bird's ankles, short enough that the legs would stay closer together and not splay.

Putting the B complex in the water dilutes it too much. Direct feeding on some food or treats, given personally to the duckling to ensure it eats it all, would ensure it's getting a full dose.

You're welcome, glad you found some of that helpful! :)

I'm not sure how to visualize what you did with the bandaid, but what I used to do with lovebirds when I raised them was take a piece of soft yarn and tie each end at the bird's ankles, short enough that the legs would stay closer together and not splay.

Putting the B complex in the water dilutes it too much. Direct feeding on some food or treats, given personally to the duckling to ensure it eats it all, would ensure it's getting a full dose.
I'll try the yarn and see how it works! For newly hatched ducklings, I cut the band-aid in half lengthwise and wrap each sticky end around the leg by the knee. The gauze in the middle is just the right size for between its legs when they're that little.

@CoriM is who I call on about hobbling she did such an awesome job with hers when they needed it.
I'd give the duckling its own dose of B complex either over a small amount of treat or by mouth which is nerve-wracking because of aspirating.
Thanks! I'll try the treats first and hopefully the duckling won't be as picky as my previous ducklings :p. Most of them had to be dosed by mouth because they refused treats with the complex on it. But I'd be more nervous doing it for a duckling this young.

What I did with my pekin who developed splay leg was put the vitamin B complex generously in a small drinking dish for them and also over their food, but I was fermenting and their food was wet so it was easy. My duck only took it over a treat one time, then rejected those treats. Sounds like you may have more of a birth deformity, but the vitamin B complex will probably still help a lot as you try to straighten out the legs. The way I made hobbles was to put a piece of vet wrap around each leg, then make a larger loop of vet wrap to go around both of those legs (sticking to the tiny loops on each leg) and pull the legs into proper position. I kept my duck in hobbles and dosing the vitamin B complex for several weeks. Attaching a video so you can see my girl walking after she grew stronger.

Attachments

• IMG_0487.JPG
    IMG_0487.JPG
    919.9 KB · Views: 5
What I did with my pekin who developed splay leg was put the vitamin B complex generously in a small drinking dish for them and also over their food, but I was fermenting and their food was wet so it was easy. My duck only took it over a treat one time, then rejected those treats. Sounds like you may have more of a birth deformity, but the vitamin B complex will probably still help a lot as you try to straighten out the legs. The way I made hobbles was to put a piece of vet wrap around each leg, then make a larger loop of vet wrap to go around both of those legs (sticking to the tiny loops on each leg) and pull the legs into proper position. I kept my duck in hobbles and dosing the vitamin B complex for several weeks. Attaching a video so you can see my girl walking after she grew stronger.
That is a great idea! I will have to try it; thank you.

Back
Top Bottom