8 dead and 2 sick - Any Hope??

RedBrush Farm

Songster
11 Years
Jun 12, 2011
Missouri
I posted last night about a dead chick and blood on the bloomers of another. Members thought cocci and suggested I treat with Corid 9.6% liquid solution, 9.5cc's per gallon of water for 5-7 days. I could not get it last night as everything was closed. Everyone was still alive when I left for work this morning, but when I got home 5 more dead and two sick. Mixed solution and put in with them. They are drinking it. I fed them and all but 2 ate. Is there a chance that the Corid will work and the others will be ok, or with loosing 5 today is it too late? Is there anything else I can do?? I still have 3 silkies, 2 silver phoenix, 2 crested creme legbar and 9 salmon faverolle in the brooder. Tomorrow I am going to take them out and sanitize the brooder again. Any suggestions would be appreciated....

There are a number of cocci strains that require different treatments with either Amprolium or Sulfadimethoxine. I use Strecker's plan. When chicks are between 3 and 4 weeks of age, run Corid (Amprol) in their water for 5 days. I use the liquid at .25 oz. per 1.5 gallons. Give Vitamin Electrolytes Plus in water a few days a week until three weeks later, then run Sulfadimethoxine powder in the water (Durvet's is half a teaspoon per gallon) for 3 days only. It is recommended that this procedure be repeated every three weeks until the birds are 7 to 9 months old. After 9 months, it is recommended to run Sulfadimethoxine in the water one day a week.

Badly kept feed or rotten, moldy feed can cause problems also. Feed should be kept cool, dry, and in a sealed container.

Cleaning the coop/brooder with a good disinfectant might help, but the birds are developing an immunity to cocci by coming in contact with droppings while being treated with Amprol/Sulfa. Change the water and feed every day. Throw out the old stuff. Use covered feeders to prevent them from excreting waste in them or the water trough.

Last edited:
I posted last night about a dead chick and blood on the bloomers of another. Members thought cocci and suggested I treat with Corid 9.6% liquid solution, 9.5cc's per gallon of water for 5-7 days. I could not get it last night as everything was closed. Everyone was still alive when I left for work this morning, but when I got home 5 more dead and two sick. Mixed solution and put in with them. They are drinking it. I fed them and all but 2 ate. Is there a chance that the Corid will work and the others will be ok, or with loosing 5 today is it too late? Is there anything else I can do?? I still have 3 silkies, 2 silver phoenix, 2 crested creme legbar and 9 salmon faverolle in the brooder. Tomorrow I am going to take them out and sanitize the brooder again. Any suggestions would be appreciated....
If it has not progressed to far then the Corid will clear it up. Sometimes though it's just too far advanced with too much damage and you might have more losses. You might take those two who don't want to eat and use an eye dropper or syringe with no needle to give them a dose of the medicated water every hour or so to make sure they get enough.

Back
Top Bottom