8 month old buff orpingtons not laying yet

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by reneemellor, Oct 8, 2011.

1. reneemellor

reneemellor Out Of The Brooder

Oct 8, 2011
    Waco, Tx
    I got my buff orpington chicks at the begining of Febuary and they are still not laying. Is this normal? Could it have something to do with the crazy, hot summer we had here in central Tx (90 days of 100° heat) ? I did have 1 (out of 30) lay 3 eggs, but then she went broody on me.

2. PAJerry

PAJerry Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2008
    Waterford, PA
    What are you feeding them? Are they free-ranging or in a run? At that age they should be producing eggs. Nutrition is probably the most likely problem. Protein is very inportant as well as a good source of water.

3. hudsonhousechicks

hudsonhousechicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2010
    Austin
    I live in Central TX too and ever since that week a few months back where it peaked at 114 degrees I have only 1 hen out of four laying. First it got hot and then they started moulting which is what I suspect is now the main problem. I hope your BO lay soo, If it's any consolation, the one that I have that is still laying is an Orpington. They're good layers once they start.

4. galanie

galanie Treat Dispenser No More

Aug 20, 2010
    Colmesneil,TX
    I have a black orpington same age that isn't laying yet either. I hope we both start getting eggs before Christmas lol.

PS - mine is getting plenty of protein. I've read that orpingtons tend to take longer to start laying than other breeds. I know my buffs were 7 months before they started so 8 months wouldn't be so very unusual.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2011
  5. reneemellor

Oct 8, 2011
    Waco, Tx
    Yes, they free range all day on our 10 acres. I spend any free time I have watching them chase down crickets. They have access to water at all times and they get layer pellets plus scraps. I don't think diet can be the problem. They're not moulting either, they all look smooth and shiny. My EEs are 20 months old and have the same diet and they are laying fine.

6. Ole rooster

Ole rooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2011
    Milner, Georgia
    I believe the BO's are just late bloomers. I've been waiting also. But yesterday one accepted the rooster so things are looking up.

7. reneemellor

Oct 8, 2011
    Waco, Tx
    They must have heard me mumbling about chicken soup under my breath because I've gotten 2 small pinkish-brown eggs in 2 days. Yay, finally!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by