8 month old mystic maran-not walking

BrichterFarms

Hatching
Aug 8, 2020
Hi all. I have a Mystic Maran who is about 8 months old. 3 weeks ago I noticed ahe was being lazy. I attributed it to the heat. She was eating and drinking. Just not moving around much. 2 weeks ago she began waddling. I took her inside. Checked for an egg (she has never laid before). Her crop was mildly impacted. I gave mineral oil and massages over 3 days and it cleared. She is still waddling.
She does not have bumble foot. She is having normal stool. She is eating and drinking Vaccinated as a hatchling.
Other 12 in the flock are fine. there were poultry lice on her. I washed in Dawn and will be treating the other birds and my coop once my spray comes in. I have been giving poly vi sol without iron, .5mls q24h for the last 5 days. She has not gotten worse but has not improved. I can not illicit pain upon palpation on any parts of her body and her neuro status is fantastic.
any ideas before I have to make a difficult decision? Thank you.

Where would I get liquid calcium? I am on Long Island and there aren’t many supply stores that have poultry products nearby. I just went to my local agway and they didn’t have any. Can I make some out of oyster shells? Her abdomen is soft and palpable. I have checked her over repeatedly and gave her multiple warm baths with epson salts. We do have a juvenille rooster who is about 18 weeks old. He does try to mate with our older girls.

I would separate her from the roo. He may have injured her. She could have a pulled tendon in her hip/s or that general region. Any hot painful areas? Can be hard to tell as chickens are usually very stoic when it comes to painful stimulation. You can order liquid calcium online. It is good to have on hand in case of eggbound and other issues.

I would separate her from the roo. He may have injured her. She could have a pulled tendon in her hip/s or that general region. Any hot painful areas? Can be hard to tell as chickens are usually very stoic when it comes to painful stimulation. You can order liquid calcium online. It is good to have on hand in case of eggbound and other issues.
She has been separated for 2 weeks now, living in our brooder/iso box in the house. I placed an order for the liquid calcium and it will be here tomorrow. Nothing is out of the ordinary. It’s the strangest thing. I should also add that I have 12 years of veterinary experience and this has us all stumped. Lol. I just don’t want to make a rash call to euthanize when it is something she can heal from.
I appreciate all and any thoughts and tips. Thank you! ❤️

Today I noticed her legs are hotter than normal. And the house is cooler than it has been.

Back
Top Bottom