8 month old pullets not laying yet.

dmbnj

Songster
7 Years
May 18, 2014
New Jersey
So, I got 5 chicks in April. The Light Brahma has been laying for three months now. The other 4 (Dark Brahma, EE, Faverolle) have not laid one egg. :idunno My other girls (now 4y.o.) all started laying around 5 months. what gives?

Some breeds are slow to start laying eggs. Then there are some chickens that are just slow to lay. Had a Buff Orpington several years ago. She did not lay until she was nearly a year old. She started to lay in February and she hatched Mar 2 the year before. The days are getting shorter now and I expect the pullets i have that are not laying yet will be starting in Jan to March. If they are not laying by September I figure they will hold off until the new year.

One way I have kick started them in January to get them started laying with the days getting longer is to get some high protein feed. The stuff I got was 22% By March I had more eggs than I could use or give away.

Last edited:
So, I got 5 chicks in April. The Light Brahma has been laying for three months now. The other 4 (Dark Brahma, EE, Faverolle) have not laid one egg. :idunno My other girls (now 4y.o.) all started laying around 5 months. what gives?

I have 12 pullets, hatched Feb 28, across 6 breeds. The 3 Dark Brown leghorns have been slow to lay. First egg at 35 weeks from one of the Leghorns. The other 2 haven’t laid a single egg yet, and they are 40 weeks old. We have supplemental light in coop too. The other pullets started laying between 20-24 weeks old.

It’s out of sheer curiosity at this point as to when they are going to lay!

Back
Top Bottom