8 month old pullets who are not laying

neelie nix

Chirping
6 Years
May 26, 2015
I have a isa Brown and a gold laced Wyndotte I got them in March and according to the research I have done they should be laying they are free ranged and live in a 2 bird house with heat lamps what can I do to help them start laying?

Do you have a light on in their coop? They probably came into their maturity at the same time as days shortened and laying would ordinarily slow down.

The good news is hens have as many yolks as they ever will so you'll get all the eggs you're going to get in time. Adding a light might get you some eggs faster. Patience might extend their laying years longer.

Hello All, I am a first year chicken owner with a flock of 9 goofy 9 month old girls. 8 of my girls are laying (even our polish at 1 egg/2 weeks now that the days are shorter). My Silver Laced Wyandotte however, Thelma, has never laid a single egg and I would love some insight on why. Any ideas? She has finished her adolescent molt, she is of age, she is a she, her comb and wattles are fully developed (per her breed) and bright red...All signs are there but no eggs. She doesn't squat because she wont let us get near her for some reason. Again, everyone else is laying but her. They have 6 laying boxes, layer feed as well as 4+ hours/day of free range in the yard, and oyster shells and crushed eggshells readily available for them as they need it. Water, dust baths, rain protection, no predator threats, the works. My girls have it made. So why is my Thelma a "dud"?

IMG_1983-01.JPG

This pic was taken 2 months ago..

Layer feed has the bare minimum protein content required for egg production, if it's the only thing offered. Treats, forage, and veggies can lower that overall protein content even further. Layer feed is for actively laying birds only, so should only be fed if every single bird in the flock is laying.

Layer feed has the bare minimum protein content required for egg production, if it's the only thing offered. Treats, forage, and veggies can lower that overall protein content even further. Layer feed is for actively laying birds only, so should only be fed if every single bird in the flock is laying.

I read somewhere on this site that too much protein can damage their livers over time, so I switched to layer for the majority; but I only saw that once. I thought they would also get plenty from eating bugs off the ground.

I also read recently that fruit can inhibit egg production. Is that true? They used to eat fallen plums during their first few months and they LOVED them. The plums have been gone for a while and we started giving them grapes off of a wild vine in our yard... it has been a while since they have eaten those too.

I read somewhere on this site that too much protein can damage their livers over time, so I switched to layer for the majority; but I only saw that once. I thought they would also get plenty from eating bugs off the ground.

I also read recently that fruit can inhibit egg production. Is that true? They used to eat fallen plums during their first few months and they LOVED them. The plums have been gone for a while and we started giving them grapes off of a wild vine in our yard... it has been a while since they have eaten those too.
It requires a TON of extra protein, on a constant basis, to cause damage. Most poultry feeds don't even come close to the danger level of about 30% protein.

Hello All, I am a first year chicken owner with a flock of 9 goofy 9 month old girls. 8 of my girls are laying (even our polish at 1 egg/2 weeks now that the days are shorter). My Silver Laced Wyandotte however, Thelma, has never laid a single egg and I would love some insight on why. Any ideas? She has finished her adolescent molt, she is of age, she is a she, her comb and wattles are fully developed (per her breed) and bright red...All signs are there but no eggs. She doesn't squat because she wont let us get near her for some reason. Again, everyone else is laying but her. They have 6 laying boxes, layer feed as well as 4+ hours/day of free range in the yard, and oyster shells and crushed eggshells readily available for them as they need it. Water, dust baths, rain protection, no predator threats, the works. My girls have it made. So why is my Thelma a "dud"?

View attachment 1182097

Based on Thelma's comb and wattles she is not ready to be laying... I will find a pic of my SLW that is about 8 months old and recently started laying for you...

IMG_5945.JPG

View attachment 1182097

I just saw at the bottom where you said it was an old pic of Thelma, here is a pic of my girl when she started laying. It's not the greatest, but you can see the difference in comb development/color

Back
Top Bottom