8 month old Welsummer Not Laying

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by marnold, Jan 25, 2012.

1. marnold

marnold Out Of The Brooder

Jun 8, 2011
    I have a Welsummer and 2 buff orpingtons. Buffs started laying in October and my Welsummer, Ginger has not started laying yet. Is this normal? She seems healthy, eats, is more skittish that the Buffs who couldn't be more friendly and all over me! So adorable. I am worried about Ginger because she hasn't laid yet. They are allowed to roam and I thought that maybe she was laying outside the coop but we went away for Thanksgiving and my pet sitter was instructed to keep them in their run rather than let them out.....and no eggs from Ginger after 6 days straight of being in her coop/run. Any ideas?

2. themenagerie

themenagerie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2011
    Well, if it makes you feel better I have two Welsummers who were born in early June that aren't laying yet.

3. devora

devora Chillin' With My Peeps

I'd never noticed before, but this year's new Welsummer is sooooo slow to lay. I would not worry as long as her behaviour is healthy (eating, scratching, etc.). Maybe they're holding out b/c they want us to really appreciate their eggs.[​IMG]

She may well become less skittish after she begins squatting/laying.

4. themenagerie

themenagerie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2011
    Got my first Welsummer egg yesterday at 38 weeks, dark brown with speckles..exactly what I was hoping for when got the pullets. They've taken so long to lay that I was starting to think maybe I got duds, or maybe they were already laying, but just plain old regular brown eggs. Now maybe she can tell her sisters to get to work?

5. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    I have an 11 month old welsummer that just started laying. Mine usually start laying after 24 weeks, but this one was especially slow maturing.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by