8 month pullet with wet, wheezy breathing, puffier neck, and liquid around nose

topochico225

Enthusiasm Enthusiast
Dec 27, 2020
Deep South
Hello!

My 8 month RIR pullet Mahalia has been walking around today with her beak slightly open. I picked her up and listened to her breathing, and it sounded wet, wheezy, and a little rattly on the deeper breaths. Her nostrils had a little bit of clear liquid around them. My son remarked that her neck looked more puffy than usual today, and it does. It's not cold here in East Louisiana (74F/23C) so she's not puffed up from the cold. She's walking around fine, but will stand still and freeze at random times. I don't have pictures of just her poop, but there was a runny diarrhea spot on our driveway while they were free ranging this morning.

What could this be?

Thanks!
20201231_112611.jpg
20201231_112628.jpg
20201231_113619.jpg

I'd separate the Chicken from the others, quick, and read about upper respiratory care. Maybe sanitize or replace any food/water dishes they shared, and add acv for the others, in case their systems are fighting what has begun showing symptoms in the other one.

Is she eating and drinking okay? How does her crop feel—empty and flat, full, hard, doughy, or puffy? It should be empty in early morning before eating. Can you see any bubbles or foam in either eye? Has she been laying eggs recently?

Is she eating and drinking okay? How does her crop feel—empty and flat, full, hard, doughy, or puffy? It should be empty in early morning before eating. Can you see any bubbles or foam in either eye? Has she been laying eggs recently?
She's eating and drinking fine, but after she eats she makes a motion like she's trying to get it to go down and panting afterwards. Her crop feels flat and empty, even after eating. Her eyes look fine, and she has been laying. I'll post a video, one second.

Can you feel some other chicken’s crop to compare hers? It looks a bit full in the video. Does she seem to see okay?
She can see okay, but she's moving very slow and staying very still. She's moved only a few times from the spot she got set down in when she first got in. The other chickens' crops feel full and hard because they have been eating.

It might be a good idea to get someone to help hold her, and to look inside her beak for any yellow plaques or anything unusal. Also feel of her lower belly between the legs for any enlargement or swelling that could be from fluid inside the belly. Ascites or water belly can cause them to have more labored breathing. It is just good to rule out certain things. Also watch for any sneezing.

It might be a good idea to get someone to help hold her, and to look inside her beak for any yellow plaques or anything unusal. Also feel of her lower belly between the legs for any enlargement or swelling that could be from fluid inside the belly. Ascites or water belly can cause them to have more labored breathing. It is just good to rule out certain things. Also watch for any sneezing.
I'm not home right now, but I'll check for that as soon as I get back. I have heard some sneezing from the coop area (before she was isolated,) and when she and the other RIR sneeze they make a honk noise? They've done it since hatch. It may have been her, but it makes us giggle to hear the "chrnk!" of the hens sneezing.

Back
Top Bottom