Open Mouth Breathing

I have a 4-month-old Columbian Rock pullet, Pheobe (who is of course one of my favorites), that has been open-mouth breathing for 1-2 weeks. She does not appear to be in distress, she doesn't typically stretch her neck out to increase air intake. She's walking around looking normal until she takes a breath then opens her mouth and keeps on trucking, business as usual. She will stretch her neck out while breathing and appear distressed only if she's stressed (picked up/examined).

Pheebs, hanging out in my office after her exam and x-ray (she was even given a yummy strawberry by one of her aunties)
View attachment 3669622

She is still eating, drinking, and pooping normally. She is still social with her flock mates and myself.

I work in an animal hospital but we do not treat birds of any kind much beyond a nail trim. I have a technician who has a special interest in birds and has the most knowledge of any of us. She did not hear any crackling in her lungs. We looked in her mouth/down her throat, everything was pink and healthy looking, nothing obvious. Her flock mates all appear 100% normal. She did have some crusties around her nose, which we cleaned, but nothing wet or moist.

Auntie Jessica cleaned her nostrils. Jess is not a chicken/bird person, but she did great and jumped right in there to help. She just kept saying "Please don't bite me". One of my other RVT's was hiding in the other room. She doesn't do birds lol Pheobe was very well-behaved and very tolerant.
View attachment 3669623

We also did a fecal (even though her poops are normal) and there was coccidia present but not in an explosive amount. There was one thing that we thought might be something but could not identify. The large cyst below. I have a video of said cyst where I am focusing up and down on it if anyone wants to see that?
View attachment 3669621

We took a radiograph but honestly, we aren't 100% sure what we are looking at. One of my DVM's (who is away at a conference) happened to see the x-ray come through and looked at it. She feels like her intestines may be being pressed on by something? We are also wondering about her lung pathology - does it appear normal?

View attachment 3669605

Being a perfectly behaved little chicken in the kennel room waiting for mama to finish work for the week.
View attachment 3669620

My rule outs are:
1. Gapeworm
2. Cardiac disease
3. Foreign body ingestion
Found this with the answer: https://gmail.app.goo.gl/?link=http...2&mt=8&pt=9008&cid=8533346665524390731&_icp=1

Back
Top Bottom