8 months old and moulting; in the winter?!?!?

We've been having 80 degree weather in socal, and all my hens are moulting. They are nine months old and at least four of the eight are still laying erratically. It kind of freaked me out at first; I saw all these feathers and started counting the girls because I though for sure one had been carried off by a hawk.

Quote:
Welcome!

It still freaks me out, so don't worry.
lol.png

Quote:
Welcome!

It still freaks me out, so don't worry.
lol.png

Yes, I'm a counter too..... Especially since feathers can scatter outside their chicken tractor...........Wow you have warm temps.... When I first had chickens, I wondered if they would get sunburnt, Oh yes, I love my animals...... I never did get an answer, but I didn't put on sun screen!

Every time I go into the run I count heads. I don't even realize I'm doing it anymore.
lol.png

We're having unusually weird temps so far this "winter". We've had weeks and weeks of temps in the high 60's - No rain, let alone snow. My fruit trees are all messed up and are budding out!
barnie.gif

Quote:
We are also experiencing unusual weather here in the mountains of NC, Monday and Tuesday was snow and 15 today sunny and 60, and all but 3 of my 13 hens are in molt or just coming out of molts so not many eggs and they are all 9 months old, feathers everywhere the wind blows them all over the place, it's sort of funny to see partially nude hens
big_smile.png

ARGH! At least one of my Plymouth Rocks is moulting and she is just barely 8 months old. Not to mention it is December, almost January. Why oh why can't I have normal chickens!
he.gif

The temps right now aren't bad, but things can change quickly in eastern Washington! I guess I had better start knitting her a sweater, just in case!
barnie.gif
I have an 8 month old Maran doing the same thing. I'm in North Central Washington. I have heard that molting is painful for them and even worse if you touch them, so a sweater would be painful for them to wear. I made her a box on the floor with extra straw to sleep in if she needs it. It seems strange she started this at such a young age. I am a bit concerned.

Back
Top Bottom