8 months old and still no eggs. :(

lesliemorgan68

Hatching
6 Years
Apr 18, 2013
I need advice! My girls are about 8 months old and still aren't laying eggs. I got them from a friend in Kentucky about 2 months ago. Their flock sisters in Kentucky are laying, but mine still aren't. I've included pictures of their coop and run in the hopes someone can let me know what I'm doing wrong.

They are on 21% layer feed, fresh water every day, no loud distractions in our neighborhood and they free range during the week from about 4 to dusk and all day on the weekends.

It wouldn't bother me so much if their sister girls weren't already laying, so any advice would be greatly appreciated!

It looks like you have a nice set up so I don't think that is the problem. Were the sisters to your girls also moved to new homes or are they in their original home? Sometime the stress of being moved to new surroundings can cause a delay in laying or cause hens who are already laying to stop for a while. I would give it a little more time.

I really don't think there is anything to worry about. Some hens may just lay later than others. If this continues to long though, I might consider consulting a vet. But, as for now, don't worry to much. She will go at her own pace. Good luck!
thumbsup.gif

It looks like a very nice coop setup! I agree that it could be the stress of moving, or they could be younger than you think. The buff looks like she should be close. I have a maran that is about 8 months old and hasn't started yet, so you never know!

Okay. Thanks to all. I feel a little better now. Their sisters are still in their original home, so you may be right about the stress.

Are the nexting boxes at the other location elevated? I noticed that yours are floor height in the coop.

@ annav410 - I thought the same thing, but I've been stalking them while they free range (my back yard really isn't that big) and haven't found any eggs.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom