8" of water in the basement = floating incubators!

Bantam Chase

Songster
8 Years
Jul 11, 2011
SC PA
Today when I went to my parents (where the incubator is set up) I was expecting to bring home a few chicks to the brooder... I SOOOOOOOOO did not expect to have 8" of water in their basement. The 'Billy'Bator cooler-hatcher was floating, so were 3 chicks. One had pipped and drowned, another had broken the shell but not the membrane (yet) and was fine. Yet another has pipped since they've been on dry land. I have copper marans due to start hatching any day that were in the same cooler, we'll see what happens there - I have no idea how they were developing since they're too dark for me to candle.

My LG was tilted to the side and the lid half-off... I have no idea how the power stayed on in both machines, but now my thermometers are both fried. I'm taking them HOME tonight - hell with the 'safe' and 'stable' basement at my parent's. They've had two 5-hour power outages and now this... I'll chance the move!

Wow what a shame you cant send the rain down here to South Texas - it's so dry here fires are spreading everywhere!!!! I hope your marans hatch!

Quote:
Oh how awful I am so sorry to hear about your loss. I lost a lot of my birds in the flood of 2008 I cried for days over all I lost. Hugs and prayers going out to you and hopefully you will do better the next time.
jumpy.gif

Sorry about your eggs. Here in upstate NY we have been wet for weeks! Power outages have been brief for me, not so good for others though. Good luck with your eggs!

I have no idea how or why, but I have 5 healthy cochin chicks in the brooder (I was expecting 6 or 7 to hatch) and so far 3 marans have pipped pea-sized holes in the shells (today is their day 20). News says we've gotten 13" of rain in the past week - I've never seen flooding around the area (or in the basement!) like this. Even if I end up with 8 chicks out of 23 shipped eggs, 2 power failures and a flood, I think that's a pretty good percentage.
Lets hope the next batch that hits the hatcher is much less exciting!

Now I need good 'flood' names - Lee is a given, so is Bob, any other ideas?

Back
Top Bottom