8-week gender check please - Barred Rock and Rhode Island Red

maryn7

Songster
Apr 29, 2020
NE Illinois
Hi folks,

Looking for any thoughts on two of my chicks, please. They're 8 weeks tomorrow. Pretty sure they're pullets, but, you know, looking for the reassurance.

The RIR has developed this little feather bump up by her tail the last few days (are those saddle feathers coming in?); her feathers are such a mess right now. (She also seems too light for an RIR, which is how she was sold to me. Seems more likely a production red or a red sex link, but I'm not fussed about that, though your thoughts are welcome.)

The BR has a pretty red face, but that comb's been stuck that size since she was about 4 weeks old. She's got the dark wash on the legs and had a pretty round spot as a chick (see my profile pic), but a couple pointy feathers on her tail. She's by far the most aggressive of the three.

There's a gray olive egger in there, too. But she's the most pullety pullet, I'm not worried about her at all.

Thanks for your advice!

Attachments

• chicks1.jpg
    chicks1.jpg
    691.5 KB · Views: 31
  • chicks2.jpg
    chicks2.jpg
    490.4 KB · Views: 30
  • chicks3.jpg
    chicks3.jpg
    595.9 KB · Views: 28
  • chicks4.jpg
    chicks4.jpg
    787.7 KB · Views: 30
  • chicks5.jpg
    chicks5.jpg
    615.2 KB · Views: 28
  • chicks6.jpg
    chicks6.jpg
    401.5 KB · Views: 31
  • chicks7.jpg
    chicks7.jpg
    716.9 KB · Views: 29
Agree. Usually only the high quality snowbirds are dark red. Hatchery RIR are lighter

Ah, got it. She's definitely hatchery. And they don't sell other red birds at all. But I figured it was maybe a production red situation given a fancier name. Appreciate these replies.

Back
Top Bottom