8 week Legbar EE cross showing barring and lacing simultaneously?

chickengoesmeow

Songster
Feb 5, 2021
I have an 8 week old cross between an EE hen and a white legbar roo. The EE hen I suspect to be her mom has faint lacing on her back but besides that doesn’t have much patterning. When she was a chick she had very defined chipmunk patterning with a spot on the head. She was a very slow featherer (a trait neither of her parents had), but despite that the ‘batting’ on her neck and head is much more of a cuckoo. Her back has lacing but also faint barring. Her wings are white with splotches of black. Her tail is almost completely black with very faint grey barring. The black areas on her wings and tail are also developing an iridescence to them.

What is causing this? I haven’t seen anything like this before in all my hours of research. I know lacing is caused by a couple of different traits but her mom barely has any lacing and her dad is barred.

IMG_7801.png

Her as a chick (hard to see in the picture but she had a large white dot and very sharp chipmunk patterns)
IMG_7488.jpeg

Her at 5 weeks old (all of the other chicks were fully feathered by this point)
IMG_7726.jpeg

Her at 8 weeks

IMG_7749.jpeg

Her wings
IMG_7744.jpeg

Her neck
IMG_7746.jpeg

Her back
IMG_7724.jpeg

Her comb is pink, but I am pretty sure she is a girl. It is pretty hot here and the comb is the only thing pointing to her being a boy. She acts like a girl and her dad had a giant comb by 2 weeks and was crowing by 5 weeks so I would’ve expected more signs by now.

(Sorry if the photos are sized weirdly, I’m on my phone.)

There’s no lacing, it’s just juvenile patterning. The chick will probably grow up to look something like a messy Delaware (Delawares are barred silver columbian). The barring came from the white legbar father, it was hiding under the white.

Back
Top Bottom