8 week old barred rock limping! What do I do?

Birdmom2020

Songster
Mar 9, 2020
Yadkin river area NC
I checked for injuries. No cuts or scrapes. Felt the bones all the way up to hip area and nothing feels out of sorts. Plenty of water and still using chick starter grower available constant for free feeding. Her leg and foot are not swollen in any areas and she didn't react to me feeling around. She is just favoring the one foot with a limp. Any ideas or things I didn't check or do to make sure it's okay? Thanks in advance!

She is probably fine, mine (not a barred rock) did that for a few days and I was nervous too. As long as everything still feels fine in a few days you shouldn't worry too much. How long has it been going on? I think it might just be the chick going through something like growing pains...

Oh and also if you want to supplement some calcium it couldn't hurt...
I just give a little tub of plain greek yogurt and my poults love it

Ok. Do you have a vet you could contact? I always just say you should be prepared. Did you try the yogurt?

It's over 90 here and super humid so I've got some yogurt in the freezer for them. There are no avian vets around here but I have a friend who is a vet tech and I can call her anytime. I will read up thank you!

No problem. And a vet tech will be perfect. Also, don't get too scared by the beginning of the page. You might just want to scroll down to the bottom where they have the list of possible diseases and treatments

Back
Top Bottom