8-week old chick is shivering a lot

Oleaster

Chirping
Oct 21, 2018
New England
My 8-week old cockerel is shivering/buzzing when I hold him. He has all of his feathers and the garage is about 55 degrees so he shouldn't be cold, right? He can walk around fine but usually when I go to check on him he is sitting down. He might just be bored or lonely, but he isn't really eating anything besides wheat. I tried giving him some moistened feed, which he didn't really try.
I'm worried that he might have Epidemic Tremor :(
Also on his left foot, his outer toe is curled under his foot when he walks. Can I use some tape to straighten out his toe?

Thank you

He's probably cold. Does he have access to some sunshine? Is it with other birds? At that age they will sit together and share heat.

Curled toes is usually from a deficiency in the parent stock or from improper incubation temperatures. I personally wouldn't try to straighten it. I've had a few with curled toes and they do fine.

You chicken needs to be eating a good fresh chick starter grower, not wheat. Sounds like it's all alone? They need company.

He's probably cold. Does he have access to some sunshine? Is it with other birds? At that age they will sit together and share heat.

Curled toes is usually from a deficiency in the parent stock or from improper incubation temperatures. I personally wouldn't try to straighten it. I've had a few with curled toes and they do fine.

You chicken needs to be eating a good fresh chick starter grower, not wheat. Sounds like it's all alone? They need company.

I take him outside every few hours so he can get some sunlight. I got him some starter/grower pellets this morning (the wheat was temporary). I was originally going to go for crumbles but the feed store lady recommended the pellets so he could get used to the size. Yes, he is currently by himself. After a month or so of quarantine, we are planning to start introducing him to our existing flock. Should we get him a temporary buddy from his original flock?

I would get a pal if you could. Being by himself is stressful. Most don't prefer pellets. I don't generally switch mine over to pellets until they are 3-4 months, and I do it gradually mixing crumbles and pellets. He may not want to eat them.

Oh he needs a buddy for sure. They are not meant to be raised alone since they are flock animals. They can keep each other warm as well. Watch to make sure he is not getting sick. X2 on the pellets. My chickens eat them, but for chicks, I would get a small bag of crumbles. For now, wet the pellets with some warm water in a small bowl to make them like oatmeal. Add a little more water to keep them runny, and change it daily.

Is it better if his buddy is a male or a female?
We have a choice of choosing between a temporary male companion or a permanent female companion.
Will he hit a more difficult teenage stage if he has a female to claim as his own?

Female. Two roosters will usually end up challenging each other when they grow up. If you already have a rooster in your grown flock, they will drive your hens crazy. The best buddy would be of similar age and size.

Ok so update:
We gave Snowy a heat lamp and has stopped shivering. When I pick him up he is warm, including his legs.
He will get a girlfriend sometime in the next few days!

However, his curled toe has progressed to where he sits on his hocks and all of the toes on his left foot have curled. His right foot still functions fairly normally, and he can stand, but I watched him try to fix his toes by scratching the ground with that foot.
Riboflavin deficiency?

Good the heat lamp worked. He was probably used to other birds to stay warm with. Hopefully someone has an idea about the toe curling.

Back
Top Bottom