8 week old chick leg problem

Chick update: we are treating her water with vitamin b and nutridrench. We are also putting her in a sling for bits on time throughout the day. She seems to be trying to stand up all the way and walk. She’s still wobbly and hyperextending her knees. Eating and drinking well.
I’m going to try a splint to keep her from hyperextending. I’ll post a picture when we get it on her. Praying it’ll work.

Chick update: we are treating her water with vitamin b and nutridrench. We are also putting her in a sling for bits on time throughout the day. She seems to be trying to stand up all the way and walk. She’s still wobbly and hyperextending her knees. Eating and drinking well.
I’m going to try a splint to keep her from hyperextending. I’ll post a picture when we get it on her. Praying it’ll work.
8D2CE3DF-4802-4D4B-A262-FDC9E4FB202D.jpeg

This is the splint. A boba straw cut down the middle, rounded edges to prevent the knees from hyper extending. She’s got padding and vet wrap to help prevent sores. We also have her on medicated chicken feed. Pulling out all the stops we can.

Attachments

• B43B16C0-FD8A-4384-9B6B-44A87D38FBF3.jpeg
    B43B16C0-FD8A-4384-9B6B-44A87D38FBF3.jpeg
    371.1 KB · Views: 0
We also have her on medicated chicken feed.
Splints look good to me.

You mention medicated chicken feed. If you are in the US, medicated starter usually contain Amprol/Amprolium which is a Coccidiostat to help prevent Coccidiosis. It won't hurt her of course, but it's not an ingredient that would offer extra support to leg health nor is it an antibiotic.

She is still young and has some growing to do, but hopefully she will grow out of it. I dont think her siblings hurt her, maybe you can put her back with them and see how she does. If she can still waddle around and find a quiet place to sit, that is a good sign. But if you have to keep her in a box isolated and she doesnt get a chance to walk around, maybe your special seats are helping to at least give her a chance so i would keep doing what your doing, but observe her with her siblings how they treat her and if she is interested in moving around.
I think a chicken sling will be helpful right?

Back
Top Bottom