8 week old chick, lethargic, can't stand

GoldenPuppy

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jul 21, 2011
PA
I have a chick that seemed fine this morning at 7:30 am. I went up to the barn again around 10:00 to find her standing there with her eyes clothes and falling backwards onto her tail. She would not walk at all. She is breathing fine. She is in the house now so I can monitor her. She's very lethargic, can't stand up and rocks backwards onto her tail if she tries.
Every once in a while she perks up, cheeps, pecks at her hay bed and looks around. Then back down she goes and seems to sleep again.
I got a little water into her but no food.

Any ideas? This came on suddenly it seems.

What does her poo look like? How many other chickens do you have? Theo only thing I have experinced before was cocci, --only one chick got it out of about 20. The poo will tell you if it is cocci, I have no experience with other illnesses.

Quote:
Her poo looks normal. She had three movements in the four hours I had her in her bucket nest. This surprised me because I didn't think she could have anything in her to poo. All three looked normal. All that time she seemed very sleepy. At the end of the time period, she had a huge poo and then seemed to not want any more sleepy time. Wanted out of the bucket. So I put her on the grass with some food and she ate and ate. Moved around some more. Ate some more. Stretched. Ate.

I had put some yogurt in her beak about 20 minutes before she started perking up. Don't know if that helped.

She seems perfectly normal now. Eating and drinking like crazy.

All very strange. I should mention, she had good comb color this entire time. No snotty nose, not breathing problems. Her feathers seem a little dirty because she didn't spend time cleaning them at all today. It almost seems like she was just very tired and only wanted to sleep.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom