8 week old chick not able to stand

Firecracker

In the Brooder
10 Years
Jul 21, 2009
Central VA
Hi. My coondog got one of my babies in his mouth. She has no cuts, on obvious broken bones. She is eating, drinking, and vocalizing. It has been 3 days, but she will not stand. She can move her legs and scoot backwards but ends up flopping over on her side. I have her in a home-made sling with her legs banded to keep them from splaying. Her legs splay forward, backward and sideways. Her toes on her right foot are curling a little. Is there any hope for her? She is an Ameraucana and so sweet.

Sounds like he hurt her internally somehow.. I personnaly couldnt wait more then a few days if she is obviously in pain before I culled her... I would guess that maybe he hurt her hips and thats why her feet and legs are curling...

She is starting to try and put weight on one side, then resting on her hocks. She really doesn't seem to be in much pain.

I can't believe but, she can stand!!!! Not perfect, but she is getting better. Still wobbly, but things are looking good. The sling, band-aiding her legs, and patience worked.
yippiechickie.gif

Soooo glad you waited and didn;t cull.

My wee chickie just started actung strange today - when I went in this morning he couldn;t stand up and I have been getting him up every hour to ensure he is eating and drinking and I gave vitamins in his drink. He is a bit better in that he stands a bit but like yours his little toes seem a bit curled up and when he stands he sways and the toes kind of curl upwords. He is in the brood box so I don;t think he got hurt like yours. I am sooooooooooo worried. I love him soooooooooo much.

Glad your is doing better and I am glad you didn;t just cull. I don;t agree with that - its a last resort. Someone started a thread about telling the worst accident / injury your chicken survived - bet there are loads of stories folk will tell. I know some of them are in pain - I mean we are too if we get hurt or have an operation etc. It is part of being alive. But if it is only tempry then I don;t see the issue/ longterm it is of course a different thing.

Oesdog -
jumpy.gif

Back
Top Bottom