8 week old chicken with open wound in neck. What do you do?

Chickenlady78986

Hatching
Apr 16, 2018
image.jpg
I have a 8 week old chicken and she has a big open wound on her neck. She is getting pecked on by the bigger 8 week old chickens. I don’t know what to do, or if I should just put her out of her misery.

I think if you clean it up with either Hibiclens (chlorhexidene,) weak betadine, Veterycin Wound Spray, or plain saline or water, then dry it, and apply a coating of plain triple antibiotic/neosporin/ or polysprorin ointment, she should eventually heal. Repeat the ointment twice daily. Separate her with food and water so that she can see the others, but not get pecked. Good luck.

We had one get pecked like that last year. We did as Eggcessive suggests - clean with water and neosporin and separated her until it was well healed. She healed fine. Chickens generally heal better than us humans. She has not regrown feathers there but she does fine now and in fact picks on others :)

Greetings Chickenlady78986,

Oh my! Poor girl...that is quite a large wound. If she is able to eat, drink and hold her head up, then, there probably isn't any nerve damage. So then, no, you shouldn't put her down. Chickens have an amazing ability to heal from some of the most horrific wounds!

Treatment:
  • Snip feathers if you need to, in order to address the wound.
  • Clean out the wound by flushing it with a simple saline solution, or some peroxide.
  • Dab it dry with some sterile gauze, then apply an Vetricyn spray or Colloidal silver, or something similar. (I wouldn't use a greasy ointment or Blu-Kote on such a deep wound.)
  • Some keepers use Manuka Honey for deep wounds, with great success.
  • Let the wound stay open to dry out, it will heal better
  • Put the hen in a hospital crate, or some other safe area away from the flock, so she has a chance to heal.
You will have to keep flies from landing on the wound. If this isn't possible, you'll have to cover the wound with sterile gauze and self stick vet wrap. Keep it clean and saturated with an antibiotic spray.

colloidal silver.jpg
vetericyn spray.jpg

You will have to address the pecking/bullying issue in the flock. Your pullets may not have enough room in their run. When chickens are confined and overcrowded, they will peck, fight, and kill each other. They will also cannibalize. You may need to make appropriate adjustments to their environment, perhaps some distractions are also needed.

When the hen is healed, you'll have to reintegrate her back into the flock. Be sure to supervise during this time, or you will having the same problem.

This is how I handle wounds on my chickens. You will get other advise, please consider them too.

God Bless and peace to you. :)

I forgot to welcome you to BYC. How is your chick doing at this time?
She is doing a little bit better. She is making noises and she is eating and drinking like normal. Her wound is still pretty big, but at the moment we have her in a little crate inside the huge cage so she can be with all the other chickens. I started cleaning the wound and washing it out and then putting neosporin on it. Is there anything else I should do?

Greetings Chickenlady78986,

Oh my! Poor girl...that is quite a large wound. If she is able to eat, drink and hold her head up, then, there probably isn't any nerve damage. So then, no, you shouldn't put her down. Chickens have an amazing ability to heal from some of the most horrific wounds!

Treatment:
  • Snip feathers if you need to, in order to address the wound.
  • Clean out the wound by flushing it with a simple saline solution, or some peroxide.
  • Dab it dry with some sterile gauze, then apply an Vetricyn spray or Colloidal silver, or something similar. (I wouldn't use a greasy ointment or Blu-Kote on such a deep wound.)
  • Some keepers use Manuka Honey for deep wounds, with great success.
  • Let the wound stay open to dry out, it will heal better
  • Put the hen in a hospital crate, or some other safe area away from the flock, so she has a chance to heal.
You will have to keep flies from landing on the wound. If this isn't possible, you'll have to cover the wound with sterile gauze and self stick vet wrap. Keep it clean and saturated with an antibiotic spray.

View attachment 1342317 View attachment 1342320

You will have to address the pecking/bullying issue in the flock. Your pullets may not have enough room in their run. When chickens are confined and overcrowded, they will peck, fight, and kill each other. They will also cannibalize. You may need to make appropriate adjustments to their environment, perhaps some distractions are also needed.

When the hen is healed, you'll have to reintegrate her back into the flock. Be sure to supervise during this time, or you will having the same problem.

This is how I handle wounds on my chickens. You will get other advise, please consider them too.

God Bless and peace to you. :)
Thank you so much for the advice!!

Please let us know how she is doing in a few days. I hope you can get her eating and drinking. Watch for flies and infection, but most times those types of gaping wounds will eventually fill in and heal.

Back
Top Bottom