16Wk old Pullet attacked by flock

rosemariec615

Chirping
10 Years
Apr 12, 2014
I have 8 older laying hens & 8 16 week old pullets. They've been side by side but separated by fence. Around Christmas we integrated all into the larger coop after a day of free ranging together. The younger group stayed to themselves until last week one of the youngsters was attacked by all the older ladies. We've been spraying her wound on her tail end with silver honey rapid wound repair antimicrobial gel. The wound has scabbed over somewhat but there is tissue missing and she will likely be deformed. She's eating & drinking and behaving normally. Should I put her on antibiotics to help her recovery? How do I integrate her back into the flock? Appreciate any advice. I've had chickens for years & this was a first for me.

I have 8 older laying hens & 8 16 week old pullets. They've been side by side but separated by fence. Around Christmas we integrated all into the larger coop after a day of free ranging together. The younger group stayed to themselves until last week one of the youngsters was attacked by all the older ladies. We've been spraying her wound on her tail end with silver honey rapid wound repair antimicrobial gel. The wound has scabbed over somewhat but there is tissue missing and she will likely be deformed. She's eating & drinking and behaving normally. Should I put her on antibiotics to help her recovery? How do I integrate her back into the flock? Appreciate any advice. I've had chickens for years & this was a first for me.
Here is a close up of her scabbed wound.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240118_215114_Photos.jpg
    Screenshot_20240118_215114_Photos.jpg
    391.1 KB · Views: 8
  • 20240118_214306.jpg
    20240118_214306.jpg
    626.6 KB · Views: 8
You want to integrate SLOWLY> like doing it more than just 1 day. Now also the time of year to mix them is also more stress because they are cold and perceive their environment against them. And in theory that makes it seem like competition of resources is emphasized because of the winter conditions.

So your options are to take more time to integrate them slowly over say a half a week, OR to wait until spring to mix them together. I think it will eventually work to mix them. But doing it during 'competition of resources' (aka winter) is going to definitely spark problems.

You didn't do anything wrong though. This is just what you are fighting against. So its best to do mixing between spring and fall. I understand you tried. Things happen. But you will also have to separate the wounded chick until it heals. And if you separate that one they don't do well being alone, so its best to have others with the separated chick.

I'd try to postpone the mix.

///

And... another trick you can try is when you do mix them, if one of the hens is high pecking order and known to cause trouble you could separate the alpha hen while the mix is being accepted also. Not guaranteed. There is no guarantee in life. But there's all kinds of little tricks you can try.

Can you post a picture panned out a little farther back so we get a better idea of where this wound is on the body?

Also, scabbing is not good, it holds bacteria and infection in. But I am not sure how best to deal with it now that it is scabbed over so I'm going to tag some of the Educators for advice.

@Eggcessive
@coach723
@azygous
@Wyorp Rock

The wound has scabbed over somewhat but there is tissue missing and she will likely be deformed. She's eating & drinking and behaving normally. Should I put her on antibiotics to help her recovery? How do I integrate her back into the flock?
👇 The wounds are extensive and it's going to take quite a while for her to heal enough to even consider putting her back with the flock.
Pictures would be helpful. How many days ago did this happen. Usually for wounds, I use saline to clean and plain Neosporin ointment applied on the wounds to keep them from drying out and to prevent infection.

Her wounds look widespread. She should not be put back in with her flock until those wounds are healing, and that will be weeks. Are those deep wounds on both of her sides? I would try to soften those scabs with warm soaks of saline or Epsom salts, and while keeping her in a warm room, dry her off. Then slather Neosporin ointment or some medi-honey on those twice a day. What do you have at home for a disinfectant? Hibiclens (chlorhexidene,) Betadine (Equate First Aid Solution,) and homemade saline are good to use. Saline is 2 tsp of salt dissolved in 1 quart of water, and will not burn the body’s tissues.

Back
Top Bottom