Chicken getting pecked!

Chickenma2021

Songster
Aug 15, 2021
Ontario, Canada
About two weeks ago my 3 year old chicken Iris got pecked by the others. I found her with blood all over her face and neck with all her feathers sticking up. I let the wounds fully heal and cleaned her up before putting her back. Then she got pecked again, and I supervised for an hour when I let her in. Then I let it heal and for the 3rd time, Iris has gotten pecked. I don't know what to do anymore because it feels wrong for her to be separate from her flock. The home she's in is attached to the coop and she can still see and interact with the others with wire separating them just in case. Any recommendations??

How much space is she sharing, when free, with how many other hens/roos?

I'd keep her in look but no touch until you can supervise her interaction with the group. It will help you to establish if you have one bully or ringleader (or two) vs. a whole flock issue.

Potential solutions involve removing bullies to see if this resolves the issue, adding space and feed/water to reduce competition, and/or adding visual clutter so your shy girl can hide out or escape aggressors with ease.

Back
Top Bottom