HELP- hens pecking rooster bloody on bottom, pecking other hens also near rear

My7GoldenGirls

In the Brooder
Jul 17, 2023
Please help, I am at a loss. We have 6 girls and one rooster, all raised together since 1 day old in our care (May 23rd 2023 was their hatch day). Nothing has changed- food, water, space. One Wyandotte hen has been occasionally pecking at the rooster to where he only had three scraggly tail feathers (they really never grew in) for a couple months- she is also his favorite hen. 4 days ago I noticed she pecked at his rear and drew a drop of blood so I immediately separated her outside the coop and enclosed runs to let her free range in the yard until I got a separate pen to place across the yard. I have been keeping her isolated in this separate pen for three days, grabbing her out of the coop just before dawn and putting her back in the coop at night to roost. Yesterday there was heavy rain and storms in our area and I had been noticing she had been demoted to the lower roost bar so I tried leaving her in with the other chickens in the run yesterday. She pecked my rooster bloody and I will add a picture of this. I separated her today only to see her sister Wyandotte pecking at the rooster and also pecking at the other two hens that were picked on by her sister, not as often, minimally.
Do I have to rehome the two Wyandottes? What is causing this? The food is organic and 16% protein, they also get other things, but it seems this is behavioral. Please help, thank you! I don’t want to isolate my rooster, because then he will be powerless/demoted, but I also don’t want him to die.

IMG_8599.jpeg

It could be due to the protein level in your food. 16% protein is the bare minimum for any laying hen and because they aren’t getting enough protein they could start picking eachother.
Also are you feeding 16% layer feed to your whole flock? If so it could cause some issues with your rooster as it has too high of calcium for them. I’d suggest getting a 20% protein all flock feed and see if anything changes. If you do that, you would need to have an extra dish of calcium for the hens to be able to get enough calcium for eggs. For now you could get pinless peepers and that should help.

20%? I haven’t seen that anywhere, thank you. I ordered some 17% but haven’t seen any higher. What food do you use/recommend? I put out oyster shells for them for calcium, meal worms, fresh fruit and veggies, scratch

Back
Top Bottom