Please help, hen pecked in vent

Chik697

Hatching
Jan 5, 2024
My hen has been being severely pecked at recently by my flock. She is one of the largest hens in the flock and there are much smaller young hens in there that never get bullied as bad as her. She just recently healed beautifully from severely being pecked below her vent. I believed this was from me leaving her in the coop too long with the others and her lack to defend herself in a crowded area. Once they see blood it’s a wrap. I did not expect her to make it because to me it looked like it needed a veterinarians asitance at the point it was at. Once healed I slowly introduced her back into the flock and left them with plenty of food and space in the run. I came back to care for them again and found her by the door trying to get out and I saw one hen peck her under again. At that point I removed her immediately scared of what I would find. This time they ripped off all the feathers she had just grown back and pecked off the small scab that she had from her previous wound. But most surprisingly they pecked her actual vent this time which I was grateful they didn’t the last. I don’t understand why they do this especially in such a odd area. I’ve dealt with pretty severe canabalization in the past but usually it’s a bird with that got scratched by a roosters spur or something that starts the chickens pecking toward the wound. I feel she is in so much pain because I noticed she just started laying eggs in the worst timing it must be incredibly painful. Her vent also looks abnormal and I’m afraid that it has caused a permanent issue. So far I’ve been wiping around the area with iodine at night and topping it with veterincin spray 2x per day. I been also putting hydrohen in her water daily and bringing her inside to sleep in a crate because of the dropping temperature. I try to keep as it clean as possible. Other then that I’m not sure what to do the first day it did not look this bad and I’m hoping it’s just swelling, but with her recently laying eggs I’m scared it might be prolapsed or infected.
3FC2242C-3FFE-459A-9247-417DFA9F50AC.jpeg

Last edited:
If you can bring her inside daily for a while and do a very shallow vent soak in warm Epsom salts water for about 15 minutes, then dry her thoroughly, that might help it to heal. Apply either antibiotic ointment or Manuka or medi-honey to her vent after each treatment or to keep it from drying out. Then I would keep her within the coop in a wire dog crate with food and water. Vent pecking is usually from being over crowded, bored from not getting outside to roam, too much light in the coop or nesting areas, and from not enough protein in the feed. If one hen seems to be the aggressor, it might be best to separate her or to use some pinless peepers on her.

Can you get amoxicillin for fish? It can often be ordered online
Any idea where I can find this? I googled it and pressed links to it on tractor supply and chewy and both say discontinued. I also checked amazon. I went on petsmart, petco, and pet supplies plus website as well and they need a vet prescription. I’ve heard about stores getting rid of animal antibiotics so idk if I can even buy it anymore even in store.

If you can bring her inside daily for a while and do a very shallow vent soak in warm Epsom salts water for about 15 minutes, then dry her thoroughly, that might help it to heal. Apply either antibiotic ointment or Manuka or medi-honey to her vent after each treatment or to keep it from drying out. Then I would keep her within the coop in a wire dog crate with food and water. Vent pecking is usually from being over crowded, bored from not getting outside to roam, too much light in the coop or nesting areas, and from not enough protein in the feed. If one hen seems to be the aggressor, it might be best to separate her or to use some pinless peepers on her.
Thank you I will definitely try that! I don’t believe I have any of the causing issues that you mentioned except maybe boredom? I find it so hard to keep them entertained because it’s a constant issue of hearing screaming and the only way they stop is if I let them out but with the weather they don’t want to step foot in the snow. Even my roosters are an issue every single rooster I’ve had has severe issues with overbreeding the hens. I don’t know but I feel like they are so high strung. I scatter some scratch around so their natural digging behaviors can be satisfied, I also hang greens to a point they have to jump to grab them and I also heard to get smaller grains of feed to it takes longer and more effort to eat. I am thinking of ordering some enrichment toys and put some meal worms. It’s just so stressful because they just don’t stop is it even normal? I’ve gotten rid of all my roosters before it was not just a problem with them.

Shovel the snow to make a way out into the yard if possible. Things may be added to the run to climb on and explore. How many chickens do you have and how much room? What are they eating? The coop may need to be enlarged for times they cannot get outside. If you spend some time observing them, you may find out who is doing the pecking. Game cameras inside the coop may also help. Vent pecking can lead to cannibalism and death. Once there is red or blood, the others will join in. Here is an article about it:
http://extension.msstate.edu/publications/feather-pecking-and-cannibalism-the-backyard-flock

Did your hen survive? I have one that's been pecked in the same area, but it doesn't look as bad. I'm having a hard time getting her healed up.

Back
Top Bottom