Hen with bloody vent after laying eggs

Capillary worms are killers. You've got to kill them hard and fast. Yes, you can use Valbazen and amprolium at the same time. Please read posts #2 and #4 in this link on how to worm your birds with Valbazen.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/worms-in-chicken-poop.1575508/#post-26765905
Also, is it all right to wait until it arrives via mail? I ordered from Valley Vet Supply so the bottle is estimated to arrive around the 29th or 30th. Is it extremely time sensitive, and should I consider picking up something else to start sooner? I love my babies (a bit too much, clearly) and do not want them hurting badly. The vet didn't seem to be in a hurry to treat the capillaria so I'm hoping a few days will be okay!

Also, is it all right to wait until it arrives via mail? I ordered from Valley Vet Supply so the bottle is estimated to arrive around the 29th or 30th. Is it extremely time sensitive, and should I consider picking up something else to start sooner? I love my babies (a bit too much, clearly) and do not want them hurting badly. The vet didn't seem to be in a hurry to treat the capillaria so I'm hoping a few days will be okay!
A few days will be okay.

She is now prolapsed, unfortunately. We are back at the vet to try and get the tissue back in. I bathed her at home and sprayed her with vetericyn, attempted to gently reinsert the tissue and didn't have success.

Update 2: The reason why the prolapse wouldn't go back in was because she had a soft-shell egg she was trying to (unsuccessfully) pass. The vet extracted it and reinserted the tissue, she is now at home in her rest and relaxation isolation with a course of tri-sulfa antibiotics and her rimadyn. The antibiotics will also treat the cocci, while the rest of the flock continues with Corid, so that's a bonus. Gonna keep a close eye on her to make sure it doesn't pop back out.

Sorry to hear she prolapsed but it's good that the vet could help her out.

Did they recommend that you give her extra Calcium Citrate for several days to help firm up shells and assist with retention of the tissue?

Sorry to hear she prolapsed but it's good that the vet could help her out.

Did they recommend that you give her extra Calcium Citrate for several days to help firm up shells and assist with retention of the tissue?
I asked about that specifically and was told I should stick to a good layer feed and oyster shell/cuttle bone. I do have calcium citrate tabs on hand, but I'm not sure if giving one to her tomorrow will interfere with the other meds she's on. I'm letting her rest at the moment!

She has literally never had a soft shell before, and prior to her molt, she was our best and most consistent egg layer and one of our biggest sweethearts. We feed Kalmbach 17% protein layer crumbles (not henhouse reserve) and I know the calcium content is good in that feed; we always offer scratch n' peck crushed oyster shells on the side.

The prolapse stayed in overnight and her poop is firming up again after last night's trauma. Antibiotic course has been started and she's been hungry and confused. I did decide to administer 1/2 a calcium citrate + d3 tab as a precautionary measure. May give her another half with her rimadyl tonight.

First 24 hours post-prolapse went well, she's all medicated with antibiotics and rimadyl and sleeping. I did give her the other half of the calcium pill, and will probably continue to offer until I see her lay an egg. She isn't out of the woods yet but I'm glad she's perked up and looking much better. The real test will come when she goes to lay another egg. Fingers crossed tomorrow goes smoothly!

Here she is mid-scratch. We let her out midday for a little while to mingle and she did well. Her comb has also reddened significantly and become a normal color. Prior to starting any treatment this week, her comb was actually quite pale and I brought it up as one of her symptoms at her first vet visit.

6lTO1KCi2wCs3L8E7d8UvW.jpg

Update: She laid her first egg after her prolapse yesterday and all went well. No recurrence of her prolapse, no bleeding, and the egg was XL (to be discarded due to antibiotics). I'm going to keep up the calcium tabs for about a week or until she's regulated.

Back
Top Bottom