Hen injured HELP!

Ethannn

In the Brooder
Jan 24, 2024
it’s currently 8:06

I have a batham Kikiriki hen that wa a roost and has been for the past couple of days we were letting her sit on her eggs she would go out every couple days to eat and today was that day. We have banthams with regular sized hens intergrated in the same flock. We have more Kikiriki hens and 1 rooster and the regular sized hens and 1 rooster
We alternate letting the regular sized rooster out if he is then we cage up the Kikirikis and let the regular sized rooster with his hens
But if we cage the regular rooster then we let all the banthams and regular hens together with the bantham rooster which everything operates good under his watch

Today at around 10 we were getting ready to leave the house and we left the kikirikis in the cage but left the broody hen in the nesting box as she was broody and we didn’t think anything would happen
At about 12:30 through the camera we see the rooster pecking at the little hen but we didn’t think much of it cause she usually just gets pecked 1 time and runs away and that’s the end of the story at about 4 when we got back we see the hen in the middle of the coop laying down with her head on the ground

We moved her to the hospital, with the brooder light food and water since we picked her up from the coop she’s been standing with her head down almost like she’s looking down with her eyes closed she’s missing her head feathers and neck ones but she’s not really bleeding I don’t know why, both eyes are fine also so I’m not worried about that but I’ve also put blue-kot and have her under the light what else can I do to help her

FYI rooster has been dispatched

Attachments

• IMG_8449.jpeg
    IMG_8449.jpeg
    436.3 KB · Views: 29
Unfortunately being attacked in her weakened state she likely won't survive. You did the best thing you could for her, putting her in a warm place by herself, but normally when they act like that they don't last long. I'm sorry to have to tell you this. :hugs

Unfortunately being attacked in her weakened state she likely won't survive. You did the best thing you could for her, putting her in a warm place by herself, but normally when they act like that they don't last long. I'm sorry to have to tell you this

Unfortunately being attacked in her weakened state she likely won't survive. You did the best thing you could for her, putting her in a warm place by herself, but normally when they act like that they don't last long. I'm sorry to have to tell you this. :hugs
Okay 😭 she’s drinking water so we’ll see she’s a strong girly

Okay 😭 she’s drinking water so we’ll see she’s a strong girly
That's a good sign if she's drinking. Are her eyes open? You can try to tempt her appetite with some scrambled eggs or wet crumbles, but I would mainly leave her alone right now. She's in shock, and the quieter it is around her the more chance she has of recovering.

she started to walk a little and drinking water saw her peck at the chick crumbs
She’s much more alert now, she’s still taking it easy and resting with her eyes closed but she does open her eyes as she’s walking around

Attachments

• IMG_8452.jpeg
    IMG_8452.jpeg
    621.2 KB · Views: 8
she started to walk a little and drinking water saw her peck at the chick crumbs
She’s much more alert now, she’s still taking it easy and resting with her eyes closed but she does open her eyes as she’s walking around
That's great! How's she doing today?

Back
Top Bottom