Young hen twisting neck but unsure if it’s wry neck

starlabantam

Chirping
7 Years
Apr 4, 2017
I have a young hen who’s having this problem. A bit of a history behind her:

She’s the daughter of my pure bred black Cochin and my Americauna Hawaiian mixed hen (we call her that because her main traits and children point to her being of Americana decent but her exact lineage is unknown and presumed to be descending from feral chickens here in hawaii). Her and her clutch got a severe case of fowl pox when they were two weeks old and only her and her brother survived. They both went fully blind in one eye from a secondary infection. Her brother lost that eye while she recovered but she had (and still has) a small white dot thing on her pupil. Then she lost her good eye from another infection. She’s been partially blind but very willing to live and learned how to eat and drink very well.

Yesterday I was reintroducing her to the flock since I’ve had her in a cage outside for two weeks, letting everyone see her and interact with her. It was going pretty well and I let her out. Of course the main rooster mated her and such and it spooked her a bit but she was doing very well for ten minutes so I left her to do some garden work.

And then her mother came by and pecked her. She ran back into the cage and her mother basically pinned her down and started beating her. I ran to break it up but by the time I removed the mother, the poor thing started moving her head weirdly. Like she kept sweeping it to the left. I took her and immediately placed her in a cool calm place in my garage with food and water. She seemed to calm down and even nap a bit so I put her back into the cage (obviously shut so no mother daughter drama could happen again)

ever since, she’s just been turning her head. It’s not like the usual wry neck where their head goes upside down, it’s more like she’s constantly turning to the left. She started walking in circles as well. Please help! I’m heartbroken as I really thought that she was making so much progress and could be free to roam once more.

She can still see as she still eats the food and water I provide as well as reacts to me. I fear if it’s a head injury or any brain damage. Please help!! I can’t stand to see her like this.

You can keep her separated and try treating her with human vitamin E 400 IU along with B complex vitamins 1/2 tablet orally daily. The generic vitamins are fine and available at WalMart and other stores. Hopefully, in time her wry neck symptoms will go away. I think she may need to be in a dog crate or in her own pen with food and water in familiar places. Having eyesight in one eye is not too bad, but with both eyes blinded, it would be hard to reintegrate her after separation since they treat them as an enemy.

Back
Top Bottom