Silkie neck inflates when breathing

silkienewbie93

Chirping
Jun 15, 2020
I’ve noticed a few issues with my silkie and I’m having trouble connecting them to figure out what’s wrong. She’s three and half right now.

I noticed several months ago when she breathes I can see it in her neck. It almost looks like her neck is inflating.

She often has her left eye closed and she tilts her head when she looks around. I’m thinking this could have to do with her big silkie head feathers being in her eye, but I’m not sure if it’s something more serious.

When she’s sleeping she slowly bobs her head. It’s not a jerk more like a gentle side to side bob.

Otherwise she’s eating well (maybe too well, she’s a little chunky 😂). She’s lazy, but not lethargic. She still loves her dust baths. I first noticed these symptoms at least six months ago and I don’t think they’ve gotten worse but I’m worried regardless.

Anyone have any ideas?

Edit: Added video link

Last edited:
What do you give her for feed?

I'm thinking it could be a couple things. One relating to a vitamin deficiency which silkies are prone to.

i give them regular layer feed
Okay, great! I always check with anyone that has issues with silkies as they are prone to vitamin deficiencies so need to have layer feed and sometimes may benefit from vitamin supplements.

I saw your video. I have two that do that. One is a chocolate hen nearly a year old. The other is just 3 months. Both are from the same breeder. I have purchased eggs and chicks numerous times and never had others do that. I got the one-year-old as a two-day-old chick and noticed it right away. She twitched her head and sometimes would just zip around the brooder really fast. This second one was from a dozen eggs I purchased, same breeder.

After researching it, I attributed this to a neurological issue, and with the older one, made sure she got Nutra Drench in their water once or twice a week. As she grew older, she was free-ranging with the rest and got lots of sunflower seeds from under the wild bird feeders. BOSS (black oil sunflower seeds) are high in Vit. E and Selenium, which is sometimes a cure or an aid for neurological issues. It helped a little as she's not quite as bad.

For the 3-month-old, I've given it 400 i.u. of Vit. E three days now with a little scrambled egg for some selenium to help it absorb the Vit. E. I put the pill in its mouth and it eats it, so I made sure it got the whole thing. They didn't like the taste of the E mixed in scrambled eggs I found. I see improvement! I'm going to continue this for a couple of weeks.

Okay, great! I always check with anyone that has issues with silkies as they are prone to vitamin deficiencies so need to have layer feed and sometimes may benefit from vitamin supplements.

I saw your video. I have two that do that. One is a chocolate hen nearly a year old. The other is just 3 months. Both are from the same breeder. I have purchased eggs and chicks numerous times and never had others do that. I got the one-year-old as a two-day-old chick and noticed it right away. She twitched her head and sometimes would just zip around the brooder really fast. This second one was from a dozen eggs I purchased, same breeder.

After researching it, I attributed this to a neurological issue, and with the older one, made sure she got Nutra Drench in their water once or twice a week. As she grew older, she was free-ranging with the rest and got lots of sunflower seeds from under the wild bird feeders. BOSS (black oil sunflower seeds) are high in Vit. E and Selenium, which is sometimes a cure or an aid for neurological issues. It helped a little as she's not quite as bad.

For the 3-month-old, I've given it 400 i.u. of Vit. E three days now with a little scrambled egg for some selenium to help it absorb the Vit. E. I put the pill in its mouth and it eats it, so I made sure it got the whole thing. They didn't like the taste of the E mixed in scrambled eggs I found. I see improvement! I'm going to continue this for a couple of weeks.
Thanks that’s super helpful! I have some poultry vitamin powder I can add to their water to see if that helps her. I’ll offer some black oil sunflower seeds as well!

Back
Top Bottom