SwimingWithTheGeese

In the Brooder
Feb 12, 2024
Hello all, my lovely hen recently got attacked by a bobcat but was saved thankfully but this morning she’s not doing too good, she’s sitting with her head down and eyes closed and it seems like she’s doing everything to just every breath, she has a couple big spots where her feathers were completely torn off but I can’t find any injuries yet, I’ve put some healing cream on the spots where the feathers are gone and took her inside.
Is there something I can give her or do to help her? She’s one of the most loved hens in my flock and has been around since pullet-hood, and also is there any way we can get this bobcat to leave? Or can we somehow dispatch it? Thank you.

Ps, no one else has gotten hurt or attacked in our flock.
image.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    766.2 KB · Views: 3
You are very lucky that she lived. We had a bobcat 2 years ago kill 3 of our older hens at 2 o’clock in the afternoon while they lounged in the grass. The other remaining hen was in the coop at the time.

A bobcat will chase them and hit them hard. I would worry about internal injuries, and shock. I would offer fluids that can include sugar water, electrolytes, and once she is drinking, then offer some moistened chicken feed and egg. Keep her in a quiet area that is fairly warm, and let her rest. Offer the fluids when she is alert and more interested in them.

Look for any hidden wounds especially puncture wounds from fangs. Saline or a mild wound spray are good to clean wounds. Neosporin or other antibiotic ointment can be used for wound care twice a day.

You are very lucky that she lived. We had a bobcat 2 years ago kill 3 of our older hens at 2 o’clock in the afternoon while they lounged in the grass. The other remaining hen was in the coop at the time.

A bobcat will chase them and hit them hard. I would worry about internal injuries, and shock. I would offer fluids that can include sugar water, electrolytes, and once she is drinking, then offer some moistened chicken feed and egg. Keep her in a quiet area that is fairly warm, and let her rest. Offer the fluids when she is alert and more interested in them.

Look for any hidden wounds especially puncture wounds from fangs. Saline or a mild wound spray are good to clean wounds. Neosporin or other antibiotic ointment can be used for wound care twice a day.
So sorry for your loss, we have her sitting in the living room and have a heat lamp high above her and we give her a mush of the chicken feed egg, yogurt and spices. We’ll get so electrolytes soon and check her for wounds.
Thank you so much for the advice!

Poor little thing, it really sounds like you're doing everything I'd recommend for shock. She may have been stressed knowing the Bobcat is still around so inside and warm is good. Electrolytes, maybe wrapped in a towel, quiet. Fingers crossed for her!! :hugs

Back
Top Bottom