Hen getting comb pecked, what do I do?

Insnesnakos

Crowing
Premium Feather Member
Jun 19, 2023
New York
My gold laced Wyandotte Muffin is getting her comb pecked by the other flock members (they all have single combs)
How do I stop this and what can I do? I made a post like this last time, then it healed and now it's started back up again :(
Sorry if the picture's blurry, she wouldn't stop moving around

1709924895325.png

Is she low in pecking order? Some breeds can be bullies. But if there is overcrowding, too little protein in the diet, boredom from not getting outside to explore and forage, or too much light inside the nesting area, can cause pecking. Does she use a nest box that others want? I have seen some chickens just stand still while another pecks the fire out of them. Figuring out the reason or identifying the bully is key to stopping the behavior. A single bully could wear some pinless peepers to keep from aiming at a target.

Is she low in pecking order? Some breeds can be bullies. But if there is overcrowding, too little protein in the diet, boredom from not getting outside to explore and forage, or too much light inside the nesting area, can cause pecking. Does she use a nest box that others want? I have seen some chickens just stand still while another pecks the fire out of them. Figuring out the reason or identifying the bully is key to stopping the behavior. A single bully could wear some pinless peepers to keep from aiming at a target.
She's is low in the pecking order, all the others peck her
They've got plenty of space to move around, but there's only one nest box for 7 birds so that could be the cause.

Back
Top Bottom