HELP- hens pecking rooster bloody on bottom, pecking other hens also near rear

For the injured birds use first aid to prevent infections and also remove the trouble maker for a long while.

I have been using nutrena for 3 years and works well for my flock. I don't have behavioral issues due to lack of nutrition. I use this feed based on nutrition levels from chick to adult, both sex.
Screenshot_20231218_073057_Brave.jpg

It could be due to the protein level in your food. 16% protein is the bare minimum for any laying hen and because they aren’t getting enough protein they could start picking eachother.
Also are you feeding 16% layer feed to your whole flock? If so it could cause some issues with your rooster as it has too high of calcium for them. I’d suggest getting a 20% protein all flock feed and see if anything changes. If you do that, you would need to have an extra dish of calcium for the hens to be able to get enough calcium for eggs. For now you could get pinless peepers and that should help.
Actually I just checked the bag, they have been having 18% layer feed

20%? I haven’t seen that anywhere, thank you. I ordered some 17% but haven’t seen any higher. What food do you use/recommend? I put out oyster shells for them for calcium, meal worms, fresh fruit and veggies, scratch
I have switched to black soldier flies (instead of mealworms) as they are higher in calcium. Fleet Farm carries a big bag in the bird section, and is cheaper than mealworms. I also collect all my eggshells, toast them, crush them, and add cinnamon (good for their respiratory) - I call it "cinnamon toast crunch" and they go crazy for it.

Back
Top Bottom