8 week old chicks and the cold

SD in WV

In the Brooder
Sep 9, 2019
West "By God" Virginia
I just got my coop done except for some small painting and trim work. I brought my 8 week old chicks home this morning from my friend that brooded them for me while I built it. (Will build the run this week while they stay inside for a few days).

It is currently in the 30s daytime and 20s night time here and will be tomorrow also. But then it will be 50s and 40s after. I hate to get a lamp for just 1 or 2 days. My friend said they should be fine in the coop since they have full feathers and there are 10. Just wondering what others may have experienced.

also it looks like 1 may have gotten a little cut or something during the move because a saw 2 places in the shaings that had a tiny little red spot. It doesn't look serious but I have no clue which one it could be.

plus they pooped on each other during the move. Will this wear off soon or do I need to do something. I've never had chickens before. Thanks for any info, I like to get a lot of different ideas.

They'll be fine. A good thing to do while you are building the run is to keep them somewhere cool so they slowly become acclimated. Even adults shouldn't go directly from room temperature to 20s.

I have 4 Green Queens, 2 Buff Orpingtons, 2 Silver laced Wyandottes and 2 Golden Laced Wyandottes. All from Meyer Hatchery in OH.

They are very scared and skittish right now but it's only day one for us and hopefully they will get use to us. I did have one of the Buffs eat meal worms from my hand a little bit ago. The kids will want to be around them so I'll just have to keep getting them use to us a little at a time

Some pics inside
20200228_154357.jpg
20200228_155908.jpg
20200228_123516.jpg
20200228_123554.jpg
20200227_162152.jpg

I take my chicks off heat as soon as they are fully fledged. They are regulating their own heat by that time. At 8 wks, they are moved outside. On really cold nights (below 30) they huddle together in the coop but always emerge the next morning unscathed.

Back
Top Bottom