8 week old chicks ! Temp questions ?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by kbreak, Jan 31, 2012.

1. kbreak

kbreak Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 1, 2011
    Columbia, MS
    I am new to chickens. They appear to feathered out pretty good. The temps this week at night are supposed to be around 40 -50. Should they be ok without a heat lamp? I moved them out to the bigger pen today. It is covered with tarps on 3 sides and top. They have a large pet carrier with hay inside. Will they be ok? Sunday temps supposed to get a little colder in the 30's. Will they be ok without a light? Should I put a smaller pet carrier in there so it will hold in there body heat more?
    Thanks for information offered !!

2. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

They don't need added heat after 6 weeks.

They'll be just fine. They have their feathers, they have each other for cuddling.

3. kbreak

Nov 1, 2011
    Columbia, MS
    Thank you ! Do you know anything about silkies? How can I tell when they are feathered out and don't need a light.

4. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

Is it just a couple of chicks? How many?

I agree with Fred's Hens but make sure that they are feathered out on their heads also (fully feathered) before you consider them fully feathered.

Silkies in my experience require more time to feather out and shiver when the other breeds are just fine.

What I do to transition chicks is to put a 100 watt bulb in the coop thus giving them a place to huddle if they become too cold but doesn't really heat up the coop much.

Be careful though because I had a heat lamp explode for me when it was under a tarp and raining. So I would NOT put a lamp out there under a tarp.

5. kbreak

Nov 1, 2011
    Columbia, MS

OMG !! That is awful. Now I have something else to worry about. I have been doing that for 6 weeks. The pen is 3'x7'x4' high. It is made from the plastic netting like hardware cloth and the top is that also. We built it for a hen and chicks. Now using as a brooder. The light is clamped on the inside and secured so it can't fall. Then there is a 2x6 board on top with the tarp over it so it has a pitch and water runs off. Hopefully I won't have to use the light much longer.
    I may post some pictures tomorrow and get yall's opinion on whether they are feathered out enough. I think they will be ok tonight only gonna get about 55 degrees.

6. P'Fowls

P'Fowls Out Of The Brooder

Mar 2, 2011
    Dahlonega, Ga
    In my opinion all of my chicks have been fully feathered at 8 weeks, I say they would be fine. Again like the post above, how many do you have? If its just a couple I would leave the light on for them to be safe if its going to hit 30° if it makes you feel better.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2012
  7. hdowden

hdowden Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    my babies have been outside since they were 6 weeks old and did just fine. i have even incorperated them into the flock with no problem at all

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by