8 week old EE Pullet keeping mouth open!

City Hippie

In the Brooder
Mar 12, 2015
I bought an EE and OE Pullet a week ago and the EE Pullet walks around with mouth open. The OE Pullet I bought at the same time does not do this. They were living together when I bought them . I checked her throat , no worms ,and I also seabed her throat and nothing. She isn't gasping or sticking her neck out. She is eating and drinking normally. I keep the coop cool , but it has been in the 90's this week. My other flock does not do this and they are black, so I would think they would be hotter. So confused and don't want to lose my new baby. Any advice?

I bought an EE and OE Pullet a week ago and the EE Pullet walks around with mouth open. The OE Pullet I bought at the same time does not do this. They were living together when I bought them . I checked her throat , no worms ,and I also seabed her throat and nothing. She isn't gasping or sticking her neck out. She is eating and drinking normally. I keep the coop cool , but it has been in the 90's this week. My other flock does not do this and they are black, so I would think they would be hotter. So confused and don't want to lose my new baby. Any advice?
Sounds like you've covered all the reasons for the behavior. If she's eating and drinking ok, she's probably just hot.

Agrees she's probably just hot...in my flock there are several birds that seem to be bothered more by the heat than the others. They can pant when they are stressed too and being in a new place is stressful.
'seabed'????? probably an auto-correct but I can't figure it out.

Agrees she's probably just hot...in my flock there are several birds that seem to be bothered more by the heat than the others. They can pant when they are stressed too and being in a new place is stressful.
'seabed'????? probably an auto-correct but I can't figure it out.
I thought maybe "swabbed".

Thanks! Yes, I meant swabbed lol. She has been doing it less over the past couple days so maybe it is stress. Now she seems to have what sorta looks like a scab on her beak where her beak meets her face. Don't know what that could be....

Thanks! Yes, I meant swabbed lol. She has been doing it less over the past couple days so maybe it is stress. Now she seems to have what sorta looks like a scab on her beak where her beak meets her face. Don't know what that could be....
Was the swab something you had tested for something?

So you guys think this is just a scab?

Back
Top Bottom