8 week old pullet limping for past 5 days

Pandang81

Chirping
Sep 5, 2021
I've had quite a few chickens hurt a leg. It's actually good to let them roam around and try to strengthen what ever happened. Sounds like she could have either done something as simple as pulled something, or, even pulled it out. Still, best to let her have room to try and get up on it to ee if she can strengthen it. Good luck. I kny you love her. :)
Thanks! Does this sound like a leg injury in your opinion? She got progressively sicker after she first began limping. We are pretty certain she had coccidia around the same time that she began limping because my other pullets did & we found bright red blood in her stool. That may or may not have any relation to her lame leg. Two days after she finished her full corid treatment she was at her worst & almost died. That’s when I started the antibiotics and she started to eat & drink again & regain energy but her left leg is still paralyzed. Right now she’s on antibiotics & poultry nutridrench. I have no idea what’s going on with her.
I’ll keep everyone posted on her test results. I have to know because she was exposed to 6 other pullets & I have not added any of them to my outdoor flock yet.

Pandang81

Chirping
Sep 5, 2021
Instructions come in the collection kit on how to collect the blood sample. As @Eggcessive mentioned, they will have you clip a toe nail far enough back to nick the quick and cause a drop of blood to form. Most of us trimming toe nails often hit the quick by accident, so we know how reliable this is as a source for a blood sample.
Great thank you!! Hopefully it’s not very painful for her.

Cynthia12

Always Grateful
Premium Feather Member
11 Years
Apr 11, 2010
Utah
Thanks! Does this sound like a leg injury in your opinion? She got progressively sicker after she first began limping. We are pretty certain she had coccidia around the same time that she began limping because my other pullets did & we found bright red blood in her stool. That may or may not have any relation to her lame leg. Two days after she finished her full corid treatment she was at her worst & almost died. That’s when I started the antibiotics and she started to eat & drink again & regain energy but her left leg is still paralyzed. Right now she’s on antibiotics & poultry nutridrench. I have no idea what’s going on with her.
I’ll keep everyone posted on her test results. I have to know because she was exposed to 6 other pullets & I have not added any of them to my outdoor flock yet.
I did not see that she was exposed to coccidia and blood in her stools! I've not known them to limp on one leg because of coccidia, but it could be very possible that she injured her leg while stumbling around while ill. Sounds like you're getting sound advice from others here on coccidia. I pray your baby will recover. ♥️

Wyorp Rock

🐓 ❤ 🐛
Premium Feather Member
6 Years
Sep 20, 2015
Southern N.C. Mountains
I'm glad she's improving eating wise and in demeanor.
Chickens can have more than one illness, condition or infection at the same time, it's not uncommon.
Which is causing what could be hard to nail down. Enteritis can affect chickens that have had Coccidiosis, so this may be what the antibiotic is treating, but who knows unless there's testing.

Can you get photos of her standing by herself. The leg going out, is it turned at the joint - you mention it's hanging. Have you tried placing her in a sling?

Pandang81

Chirping
Sep 5, 2021
Chickens can have more than one illness, condition or infection at the same time, it's not uncommon.
Which is causing what could be hard to nail down. Enteritis can affect chickens that have had Coccidiosis, so this may be what the antibiotic is treating, but who knows unless there's testing.

Can you get photos of her standing by herself. The leg going out, is it turned at the joint - you mention it's hanging. Have you tried placing her in a sling?
I agree, definitely difficult to diagnose and she definitely had 2-3 things going on…coccidia for sure & whatever else the antibiotics are fighting as well as possibly another issue with her leg. As far as photos I will try tomorrow. My garage has terrible lighting and I’m scared to take her outdoors in case she has Mareks (dander) but will try to get a video & photos with better lighting. I can’t believe how well she is doing since Sunday! I was with her just now & she ate her whole bowl of food & tried to walk again! She even moved her left foot a tiny bit. I picked her up & looked at the left leg again & noticed she has bright red skin under all of her feathers in an area on it. I don’t know if that is normal but will try for more photos of that tomorrow as well.

Pandang81

Chirping
Sep 5, 2021

Also I am not sure whether turning at joint, will check. I have not tried placing her in a sling.

Pandang81

Chirping
Sep 5, 2021
Got my test kit! I requested 3 samples so that I can test:
1. Sick Silkie mix pullet
2. One of her thriving flock mate pullets
3. One of my outdoor hens that have never been within 200 ft of these pullets.

Attachments

• 87C679E8-906D-4BC8-92FB-4C20E386E80F.jpeg
    87C679E8-906D-4BC8-92FB-4C20E386E80F.jpeg
    603.8 KB · Views: 2

Top Bottom