8 week old turkey died.

CatWhisperer

Crowing
10 Years
Jun 16, 2013
northwest Arkansas
I noticed diarrhea the last couple days on my 3 turkey poults. I’ve had them since they were about 1 week old. They eat Purina game bird starter, 30% protein. They spend days out in the garden where there is plenty of shade and are indoors in a large dog crate at night. Found 1 lying dead next to his brother this afternoon. The other 2 were easier than usual to pick up and bring in. I’ve raised many chicks in this same garden area but none have been there for the last 2 years. Any ideas on cause would be appreciated.

Do you have tomato plants in your garden? Tomatoes are safe for turkeys but the leaves of the plant can make them very sick and can cause death.

I noticed diarrhea the last couple days on my 3 turkey poults. I’ve had them since they were about 1 week old. They eat Purina game bird starter, 30% protein. They spend days out in the garden where there is plenty of shade and are indoors in a large dog crate at night. Found 1 lying dead next to his brother this afternoon. The other 2 were easier than usual to pick up and bring in. I’ve raised many chicks in this same garden area but none have been there for the last 2 years. Any ideas on cause would be appreciated.
Sounds like cocci.

Oh no, I am so sorry, it does sound like blackhead. Can you get your hands on some metronidazole and enrofloxacin? When I treat mine I give:
  • Subcutaneous & oral fluids until they are eating and drinking ontheir own
  • Metronidazole @ 50 mg/kg orally once a day for 5 days
  • Enrofloxacin @20 mg/kg IM once a day for 5 days
  • Fenbendazole @50 mg/kg

These are some of the best blackhead references I have found:

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom