8 weeks old Black Copper Marans Cockerel or Pullet?

Oct 13, 2019
Longmont, CO
69999D82-F785-44B9-9144-EBE656F9B5B4.jpeg
716A471D-6BA0-46C6-B614-60A67A1A9F78.jpeg
6CF5CA17-88D1-4B03-9543-F29C95CEC28D.jpeg
5D117CB6-091A-431F-AAF9-E091A92A5A24.jpeg
7634A280-3413-487A-A08E-503C7F86161C.jpeg
Back again now that this little guy is a bit older...8 weeks now. What’s your guess, Cockerel or pullet? I don’t have another Marans to compare this one to but the comb is much bigger than my 2 old week old Swedish Flower Hens combs and this one has red wattles coming in and the other two don’t. I can’t tell what’s happening with the saddle feathers yet. Thoughts?

My guess is cockerel. That's a lot of comb for 8 weeks. And the wattles already look red.
But I thought Marans had lightly-feathered legs. Yours doesn't look to have any feathers at all. Is that possible with that breed to have clean legs?

My guess is cockerel. That's a lot of comb for 8 weeks. And the wattles already look red.
But I thought Marans had lightly-feathered legs. Yours doesn't look to have any feathers at all. Is that possible with that breed to have clean legs?

You know, it’s so strange. He had feathered legs when he was a little chick but I noticed they were gone at about 5 weeks. Not sure what’s up with that. I think American or English Marans (can’t remember exactly what they are called) have clean legs. Mine was supposed to be a French Black Copper Marans with the feathered legs and I’ve seen the breeders stock and they look pretty nice to my untrained eye, so I’m not sure what happened with my little guy. I think Cockerel too but kinda hope I’m wrong. I’ll keep him either way if he’s nice. Just wanna handle him a bit different if he’s a Cockerel.

You know, it’s so strange. He had feathered legs when he was a little chick but I noticed they were gone at about 5 weeks. Not sure what’s up with that. I think American or English Marans (can’t remember exactly what they are called) have clean legs. Mine was supposed to be a French Black Copper Marans with the feathered legs and I’ve seen the breeders stock and they look pretty nice to my untrained eye, so I’m not sure what happened with my little guy. I think Cockerel too but kinda hope I’m wrong. I’ll keep him either way if he’s nice. Just wanna handle him a bit different if he’s a Cockerel.

Wow, score with the feathers falling off the legs. The less feathers on the legs and feet means the cleaner they stay! :)

Back
Top Bottom