8 wk old Mystery Chicken

neishalee

In the Brooder
7 Years
Apr 8, 2012
Colorado Springs, CO
Pulled a couple chicks out of the straight run bin at the feed store and have been able to identify all but this one. I'm assuming it is a hen but I may be wrong. It is quite a bit smaller than the others I got at the same time so I'm wondering if its a bantam or just a slow growing breed. The other three I pulled out were a Welsummer, EE, and a Barred Rock. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

Dark Cornish was definitely on my list. The hatchery that supplies the feed store offers that breed so it is possible. I'm just new with chickens and it didn't look like the pics google images brings up.

Dark Cornish was definitely on my list.  The hatchery that supplies the feed store offers that breed so it is possible.  I'm just new with chickens and it didn't look like the pics google images brings up. 
It could just be slower to grow.. I really don't know the breed.. But it looks like it in the face/legs/colour. I could very well be wrong.

It does look to be a pullet though.

It has the really thick legs of the Cornish but not quite the wider stance or heavier breast I'm used to seeing. But, hatchery birds aren't known for being good representatives of the breeds. I vote dark Cornish.

Back
Top Bottom