8 wk old Mystery Chicken

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by neishalee, May 29, 2012.

1. neishalee

neishalee In the Brooder

Apr 8, 2012
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Pulled a couple chicks out of the straight run bin at the feed store and have been able to identify all but this one. I'm assuming it is a hen but I may be wrong. It is quite a bit smaller than the others I got at the same time so I'm wondering if its a bantam or just a slow growing breed. The other three I pulled out were a Welsummer, EE, and a Barred Rock. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. aoxa

aoxa Crowing

Looks like a dark cornish bantam to me.. :idunno

Last edited: May 29, 2012
  3. neishalee

neishalee In the Brooder

Apr 8, 2012
    Colorado Springs, CO
    I had thought that too but it has longer legs and a narrower breast. Do they develop those over time?

4. aoxa

aoxa Crowing

What about dark malay?

5. neishalee

neishalee In the Brooder

Apr 8, 2012
    Colorado Springs, CO
    That would be cool if it was a Malay but it doesn't have the upright stance. I wish though.

6. aoxa

aoxa Crowing

I'm going to stick with dark cornish.

[​IMG]

7. neishalee

neishalee In the Brooder

Apr 8, 2012
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Dark Cornish was definitely on my list. The hatchery that supplies the feed store offers that breed so it is possible. I'm just new with chickens and it didn't look like the pics google images brings up.

8. aoxa

aoxa Crowing

It could just be slower to grow.. I really don't know the breed.. But it looks like it in the face/legs/colour. I could very well be wrong.

It does look to be a pullet though.

9. akcountrygrrl

akcountrygrrl Songster

Apr 3, 2010
    Nenana, AK
    It has the really thick legs of the Cornish but not quite the wider stance or heavier breast I'm used to seeing. But, hatchery birds aren't known for being good representatives of the breeds. I vote dark Cornish.

10. neishalee

neishalee In the Brooder

Apr 8, 2012
    Colorado Springs, CO
    The more I look at it I'm thinking it's a Dark Cornish. It's cool to have one but I wish she was more typical for he breed. They look yummy.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: