8 year old chook with black swellings on legs and twisted claws

Samantha - I don't see anyone looking at your post. There are rules about these things - so for the moderator's sake it want to make it clear that I'm not trying to bump you up the list. But I wonder - do those bumps come off? If you open them up, what's inside? I will keep looking online tonight to see if I can find out what they might be.
Hope she's doing ok.

yeah i don't either..i don't know whats going on and we really need help. i don't want to make it worse for Feet. I changed their hay yesterday..why do they poop in their coop?! that rhymes!

WOW, she's an old girl.

I think you might see remarked improvement once her nails are cut. She will be able to walk about much easier and be able to get away and defend herself a bit better.

Since you are planning on visiting a vet for the toe nail clipping, I am sure he/she will be able to tell you what you are dealing with as far as the growths go. To me they look like some sort of tumors? Or blackened callouses from being in cages?

I did some work with some chickens that had extreme scaly leg mites and long long toenails. They need to be cut. You cna hold them up to the light and see where the quick starts. Cut them to there. If you accidently cut too much put some cornstarch or styptic on them to stop the bleeding. You then will wait a week or so and cut them some more. It is a process that takes some time. Have you tried a warm water epsom salts soak? Do the black things look like mud balls or part of her? Can you try to pick at the side of one to see what it is made of? Plain vegetable or mineral oil is good for scaly leg mites.
sharon

Looking @ the second picture it looks to me she has it around her beak as well. I am not sure, but I am wondering if this is a fungus. I sure hope you can let us know what the Vet thinks it could be.

Yes, I have noticed that she had the red unusual stuff around her beak too. We have just taken her and another chicken Red to the vet today, we will know tomorrow.

Feet started bleeding from the black swellings and I imagine she was quite pained.

I was trying to soothe her with a mix - a maceration in canola and soybean oil of herbs - tinderbox gut tea - which has the soothing herbs such as chamomile, freshly ground cloves dried overnight pre-maceration for numbing and antibacterial and antiseptic, cinnamon powder which also is antiseptic, and essential oil peppermint - fresh, cooling and good for skin ( I just got more supplies for my new aromatherapy and herbal online shop! ) Also combined with freshly ground plant - comfrey leaves. Apparently a very good skin treatment for ulcerations.

I added hand sanitiser to preserve the oil, being ethanol based, and to max up the germ fighting properties!

Blessings
Samantha

The vet rang and said she has had abcesses so she is being put into surgery under gas. They will keep her under observations and wrap her legs. I am to call in the morning.

Yay for the update! I'm so glad you got her to the vet, and I hope it doesn't break the bank to have her operated on. Keep us updated. I had to scroll and scroll to find your post but I'm glad there was good news in there. Best of luck.

Back
Top Bottom