80% of one breed died overnight.

No bugs that I could see. It's raining now so poop is gone from those now. I can get poop pics of the others tomorrow.

Corid(amprollium) is the best treatment for cocci in the US. It can be purchased at most feed stores in powder form or liquid. Toltrazuril, amprollium, sulfa antibiotics, and coxoid are names of medicines used in different countries.Since all are now dead, without a necropsy, it would be impossible to tell what caused the deaths, but if all happened within 24 hours, I doubt that it was cocci. Poisoning of some kind perhaps, including botulism, aflatoxin, accidentally running out of water, or a deadly virus of some sort.

Last edited:
Corid(amprollium) is the best treatment for cocci in the US. It can be purchased at most feed stores in powder form or liquid. Toltrazuril, amprollium, sulfa antibiotics, and coxoid are names of medicines used in different countries.Since all are now dead, without a necropsy, it would be impossible to tell what caused the deaths, but if all happened within 24 hours, I doubt that it was cocci. Poisoning of some kind perhaps, including botulism, aflatoxin, accidentally running out of water, or a deadly virus of some sort.
Since I'm from Canada, I just wanted to add that here it was Amprol that the vet had for my birds. I'm wondering if that's the labeling for us. When I search Corrid, nothing shows up in www.drugs.com for Corrid in Canada like it does Amprol.

I'm not certain about Ontario...but you know, since you mentioned about getting Corrid/Amprol at most feed stores, I just realized I've never came across Amprol or Corrid in any farm/feed stores. I imagine it would be more cost effective. I'm wondering if a person has to obtain it from a vet. That's where I've had to obtain mine.

Since I'm from Canada, I just wanted to add that here it was Amprol that the vet had for my birds. I'm wondering if that's the labeling for us. When I search Corrid, nothing shows up in www.drugs.com for Corrid in Canada like it does Amprol.

I'm not certain about Ontario...but you know, since you mentioned about getting Corrid/Amprol at most feed stores, I just realized I've never came across Amprol or Corrid in any farm/feed stores. I imagine it would be more cost effective. I'm wondering if a person has to obtain it from a vet. That's where I've had to obtain mine.
In Canada it looks like the two available are AmproMed and Amprol
https://www.pharmacompass.com/health-canada-drug-product-database/amprolium

Ahhh...thank you for the info and thank you for the link.

Gee, it says it's over the counter. I'm going to have to look harder because I've never seen it. I frequent the feed stores, hometown and city. hmm.png

In the past, other Canadians have said they have to get amprollium from their vets, usually the liquid form in a bottle for the amount prescribed. I am not sure why in the world that would be a prescription medicine there, but it is. I wonder if cattle farmers can get it somewhere without an RX? They use it to treat scours.

Ahhh...thank you for the info and thank you for the link.

Gee, it says it's over the counter. I'm going to have to look harder because I've never seen it. I frequent the feed stores, hometown and city. View attachment 1049438
I think some people have just walked into a vet's office and asked for it. Call some of your local vets.

And try ebay:

In the past, other Canadians have said they have to get amprollium from their vets, usually the liquid form in a bottle for the amount prescribed. I am not sure why in the world that would be a prescription medicine there, but it is. I wonder if cattle farmers can get it somewhere without an RX? They use it to treat scours.
Yep...that's exactly how they did it for me last year.

If the medication is in the feed, I'd think it would be like buying medicated chick starter and not a problem. To treat for an outbreak...I'd think we'd have to get it from the vet. We've never had to treat for cocci in our cattle or sheep, thankfully. There's nothing that I've seen on feed store shelves.

Thanks Kathy! I'm fortunate that we've got a great working relationship with our vets (about 20 years) and I can just ask for it. It just never occurred to me until yesterday that I've never seen it in a feed store.

Are you sure they knew where the water was? I remember I've had a few chickens that I had to show the waterer to for them to drink out of it. If it is as hot where you are as it is here, they wouldn't last long without water.

Back
Top Bottom