1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

8x10 garden shed

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by miss_thenorth, Sep 17, 2008.

1. miss_thenorth

miss_thenorth Songster

Dec 28, 2007
    SW Ont, Canada
    I have access to an 8x10 garden shed that I would like to convert into a chicken coop. (Was gonna add on to the barn, but not at this time) So, I have 12 standard hens, one standard roo, and 5 banties. My birds free range, so I am wondering if this will be enough room. I realize the recommended space is 3sqft/bird. Would the fact that this shed is 7-8ft tall at the peak matter? I am mostly concerned about it being adequate in winter, since that is when they would be spending the most time in there.

Thanks

2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member 11 Years

I think its probably enough room with several being banties. I had a dozen birds in an 8x8 coop and they had plenty of room. Actually, most go by 4 sq ft per standard chicken and 2 sq ft for banties.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2008
  3. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    4 sq ft per chicken would be 20 chickens in a 80 sq ft area, so it seems to me you are fine on that basis.

Pat

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: