What do I want in a shed/coop?

Shocki

Chirping
Apr 4, 2023
Eastern Idaho
I looked at prefab coops, and I found most were cheap garbage, mostly from China, and tiny. Ones that seem big enough and better quality (probably not from everyone here's perspective lol) are expensive compared to a shed I could buy, twice the size, brand new. I have looked for used sheds. I haven't run into anything. I was considering buying a 8x8 or 8x10 wood shed. Since I'd be buying the shed new, what would you look for that would make things easier, durable, ect. if you got to start new? The little things like nests, roosts, and shed kit, I'm not too intimidated by, but building the structure from scratch is not something I'm ready for. I'd like to keep it at or under $2000. I've seen new sheds for $1100-$1500. So some ideas like

What would be the best roofing material?

What would I want for flooring? Easiest to clean?

Where should ventilation be positioned? High? Low? Both? One big? More smaller?

How high do you put the pop hole?

I noticed people like automatic doors. Do they freeze shut in the winter? Can they be opened another way in case they freeze?

What should I consider for cold winters? I live in eastern Idaho. It gets very cold sometimes.

What kind of foundation do you prefer?

Throw in anything else I might want to consider before I start, like if you know of somewhere specific to find used sheds. I didn't find anything on craigslist, and used shed places online don't look any cheaper than buying one new, and adding your own roofing and flooring.

I'm not super handy, and while this is the first time I've had chickens, I'm a long time bird lover, and I'm willing to pay more from things I don't think I could do well myself. I'm hoping this coop will last for years to come.

It will be occupied by 6 Buckeye hens. Anyway, throw in anything.

I hate the word "best" as it is used on here. What makes something best for you might have no relevance for me. To me "best" is usually just a personal preference. Nothing wrong with personal preferences, I have a few of my own. But those are generally choices, not needs.

OK, rant over.

What would be the best roofing material?
In Eastern Idaho look around and see what others are using, especially in older buildings. Do shingles last in the freezing and windy conditions? Do metal roofs collect condensate and drip down inside? They do in some climates, you may be dry enough that is not an issue.

What would I want for flooring? Easiest to clean?
My personal preference is dirt. As long as the coop is positioned where water does not drain to it and you can keep it dry dirt works well. I put a few inches of dirt in it and put a berm and swale on the uphill side and it stayed bone dry. Replace bedding as it disintegrates from their scratching and I can go over a year before I clean it out. I do have droppings boards and clean them anywhere from once a week to once every 6 weeks, depending on how humid the air is and how many chickens I have in there.

One difference in you and me is that I have weather the flock can spend all day every day outside. They don't poop much in the coop except from the roosts. Yours may spend a lot of the winter in there from snow and cold winds. You may be dealing with a lot of poop in the coop.

Where should ventilation be positioned? High? Low? Both? One big? More smaller?
My preference is high and on several walls. You don't want a cold wind hitting them when they are on the roosts. If your openings are up high over the roosts then any breezes are over their heads.

That is for winter. In summer a warm breeze hitting them feels good. An opening down low can let some cooler air in to force the warm air out through the high ventilation. Your pop door can work during the day. At what I think is your altitude your nights probably cool off pretty quickly.

How high do you put the pop hole?
How much bedding are you going to have? You don't want bedding falling out of or blocking the pop door. 12" is probably a good choice.

I noticed people like automatic doors. Do they freeze shut in the winter? Can they be opened another way in case they freeze?
Can't tell you, I don't use them.

What should I consider for cold winters? I live in eastern Idaho. It gets very cold sometimes.
Read this. He probably lives in an area colder than you do. -20 F seems to be his cut-off for really cold for chickens.

Cold Weather Poultry Housing and Care | BackYard Chickens - Learn How to Raise Chickens

What kind of foundation do you prefer?
Any wood that touches the ground needs to be treated, even if you are as dry as I suspect. I'm comfortable with treated wood, cinder block, or concrete.

Do you have to worry about your frost line? I think you might. If the ground freezes below the bottom of your foundation then thaws your foundation can heave and become not level. That can make doors and windows unusable.

I always recommend large roof overhangs with fascia boards and open soffits for year round ventilation. Might be hard to find in a prefab shed.

Here's some tips about heights:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/coop-stack-up-how-high-stuff-works-well.73427/

I live in eastern Idaho
Here's how to add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, and then it's always there!
1681510501033.png

Wow! Thanks for pointing out all those things. I bookmarked that link. These are the kinds of things I was hoping to have pointed out. I never thought about snow berms. I've been here 3 winters and I've never had snow accumulation much over a foot, if that, at any given time, but I did have a small hill of snow next to my house from snow falling off the roof.

I will also consider increasing my shed size. I don't want my shortest dimension more than 10'. I'll look around some more.

Back
Top Bottom