8x12-15 chicken tractor?

I absolutely agree with Aart on the tires. The larger the diameter the better it handles rough terrain. The wider the tire the better it handles soft soils.

Since your Dad is handy, if weight is a bit issue (and it can be) you might consider building it in two parts that can be connected when in place. I did that in the short time I had my tractor, used bolts and butterfly nuts for easy hook-up and disconnect. Used guillotine type pop doors between to seal them when moving them.

Size is in article ;)

I absolutely agree with Aart on the tires. The larger the diameter the better it handles rough terrain. The wider the tire the better it handles soft soils.

Since your Dad is handy, if weight is a bit issue (and it can be) you might consider building it in two parts that can be connected when in place. I did that in the short time I had my tractor, used bolts and butterfly nuts for easy hook-up and disconnect. Used guillotine type pop doors between to seal them when moving them.
Thanks!

Here are a couple of pics of our chicken tractor we are building that is 6' x 12'. It is modeled primarily after the Suscovich chicken tractor you can find on YouTube but we changed a few things to suit ourselves. We are building 2 of them. Instead of buying a conduit bender and metal conduit we opted for flexible electrical conduit similar to PVC. It was much cheaper and easier to work with -- we just purchased 90 degree and 45 degree elbows to mimic the shape of the Suscovich metal arches. We used the U-shaped metal pipe clamps instead of drilling and screwing directly through the conduit. That way we don't risk it cracking at the attachment holes.
chicken tractor 1.jpg
chicken tractor 2.jpg

Nice!! I really like that one!
You were concerned about weight. I don't know how much ours actually weighs but we installed a large rope at the front run through a 3' long piece of PEX tubing to keep the rope from cutting into the hands and I am able to lift and move it by myself and I am not a bodybuilder or anything like that....just a 53 year old woman with a little bit of upper body strength. We have it located on our lawn in front of the barn. We installed 12" diameter "no flat" tires from TSC and it rolls just fine.

You were concerned about weight. I don't know how much ours actually weighs but we installed a large rope at the front run through a 3' long piece of PEX tubing to keep the rope from cutting into the hands and I am able to lift and move it by myself and I am not a bodybuilder or anything like that....just a 53 year old woman with a little bit of upper body strength. We have it located on our lawn in front of the barn. We installed 12" diameter "no flat" tires from TSC and it rolls just fine.
thanks!

Back
Top Bottom